PSS Shaft Seal Check Valve or Air Vent

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

The PO installed a PSS shaft seal but did not install a vent hose. The plastic plug is still in place.
After reading a multitude of posts regarding vent hoses and looking at all the imperfect options on the C34, it occurred to me that some kind of an air vent (similar to a hydronic heating system) or inverted check valve might be ideal for this.
Has anyone considered this before?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Roc

Dave,
PYI originally had a "slow" speed and "high" speed version.  Basically, for sailboats (vessels under 12 knots), the PSS had no barb and to expel any air you had to "burp" it so cooling water was always in the bellows.  That version never seemed to work as intended (mine was one case in point), and they modified the under 12 knot installation to be much like the higher speed installation by putting a barb where a hose is attached to make sure water is always in the bellows with no possibility of air entrapment (i.e. no burping needed).  That's how mine is now.  You can see in item 15A in the installation instructions to attach a hose and run it above the water line.  That's it.  You don't need a check valve or anything more than just making sure the end of the hose is well above the water line and it will never dip below, even when heeling.

http://www.shaftseal.com/en/about/installation_instructions

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

DaveBMusik

Many people have complained about water coming in during reverse even when the hose is high and centerline. At least one C34 owner mounted his under the head sink and water dripped on his engine switch (which is where mine is as well). Many people put a plastic bottle to catch the extra water coming out of the hose.
I still have not figured out a good place to mount the vent hose which is both high enough and on centerline so I thought a check valve might be the answer.
The PO used it for four years with just the plug. That is a possibility, but I hate to be forced to remember to burp the bellows...
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Mark Sutherland

Dave, I just resolved this last week on my boat.  I'm the guy who complained about water from the pss spitting into the under-sink area and getting my main power switch wet.  Here's what I did.  Look at your fuel filler overflow/breather fitting.  Mine is mounted high on the port Side of my transom.  I mounted an identical breather fitting(from West Marine) on the starboard side of my transom(high, well above waterline).  I then ran a hose from the pss unit barb to this new breather(under the aft cabin to the transom).  Now, when the pss wants to spit water in reverse, it runs down my transom.  Sweet solution.  Contact me direct if you like.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Roc

My hose runs from the PSS seal, to the port side under the head sink, then up into the port lazarette and ends in the forward upper corner in the port lazarette.  There is no plug or anything on the top of the hose.  This seems to end up in the highest point both level and heeling.  Ending the hose under the head sink does not seem to be high enough.  From the area under the head sink, you can still run the hose higher into the lazarette.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

mainesail

Quote from: DaveBMusik on April 13, 2016, 08:21:10 AM
The PO installed a PSS shaft seal but did not install a vent hose. The plastic plug is still in place.
After reading a multitude of posts regarding vent hoses and looking at all the imperfect options on the C34, it occurred to me that some kind of an air vent (similar to a hydronic heating system) or inverted check valve might be ideal for this.
Has anyone considered this before?

I've been doing this for years using Taco Hy-Vent's...

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

DaveBMusik

Thanks Maine! Exactly what I was looking for!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT