Fresh water bladder

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

My 1986 C34 does not have an aft water tank nor the removable bullhead to be able to install one.  There is a 200 liter bladder from Nauta installed under the aft berth but I do not like the way the edge sits on the shaft log.  I am thinking of installing a smaller bladder in the same spot but further from the shaft log.  Has anyone else done this or replaced their water bladder under the aft berth?   I have looked at bladders from Vetus, Platismo & Nauta. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ekutney on April 11, 2016, 10:49:33 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 02, 2015, 09:09:59 AM
Here are the photos Becki sent to me of her aft bladder tank.  Looks like a PO mod.
I have the same bladder under the aft berth, which I'm told by the PO of 27 yrs is original.  I was thinking of replacing it with a slightly smaller one because of age & it is very close to the shaft log.  Has anybody ever replaced theirs?   If so what brand.  I want it more for ballast because rain water collects in the fwd part of the cockpit right before the companionway.   I also have a water tank under the V berth & one strb side under the setee.

Ed, this quote is from Becki's reverse water topic.

From that discussion (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8674.0.html), I am SURE that bladders were NOT standard from the factory.  They simply were NOT.

I understand your desire to have weight further aft to avoid the water pooling in the cockpit.  That topic was one of the earliest in the Tech Notes, and seemed to be an issue on many of the earlier boats, and IIRC was due to the V berth tank, hence  why Catalina switched from the V berth and starboard tanks to the aft and starboard tanks: for boat trim.

ITWMB, I'd avoid a bladder tank like the plague, and go to a solid Ronco Tank in the aft location for a more permanent and useful addition.  You could also empty or only partially fill the forward V berth tank and see fi that helps.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

I made the comment that it came from Catalina because the PO said it was on the boat when he took ownership, 27 yrs ago.  It is also exactly the same 200 liter Nauta in the picture Becki sent you.

Why the comment about avoiding a bladder like the plague?  Not disagreeing but I've been looking for any information & can't seem to find much.

To install an aft tank I would have to undertake some major configuration changes because the aft bulkhead in the aft berth has no removable panel as shown by others.  The current fiberglass bulkhead would have to be opened up & I'm not sure of the level of effort plus I and. not sure how it would impact mechanical strength.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Ed,

Just 'cuz Becki has one didn't mean it was OEM.  I'm simply sharing with you what I've learned in 18 years of experience and 30 years of Tech Notes.   I have NO recollection of anyone mentioning a bladder tank in those 30 years of Tech Notes, and I've read every single one of 'em, at least twice.

Plague?  Bladders, unless perfectly supported, end up rubbing against something and can potentially leak.   The larger the bladder the more prone they are to doing just that.  That location does not have Fiberglas surface that's as smooth as a baby's bottom.

If you examine the size of the HUGE opening above the prop shaft in the aft cabin, I'll betcha you could get a damn big Ronco water tank in there, underneath the aft cabin to starboard.

I'm surprised to hear you can't access the aft cabin wall.  The "trick" is you have to remove the fuel tank wall first, but I don't think you'd need to do so at all.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough about my suggestion in the last post.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ekutney

This exchange is an example of why I selected the C34 & joined this group.  The years & years of experience.

I plan to remove the bladder because it is at least 27 yrs old.  I will take a picture of the aft bulkhead in the aft cabin to give you a better idea of my configuration.  There is no wooden panel like the port bulkhead.  The aft bulhead is gel coated fiberglass.  I have been down inside the lazerette and seen the dead space available where a water tank could be installed if a shelf were glassed in.  My guess is since I have hull #42 the aft bulkhead panel was a early design change to allow for the aft water tank. Can this aft water tank be seen from inside the lazerette?

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

mregan

I've got an '86 #086 and my aft tank is on the starboard side under the bench seat.  Adjacent to the battery compartment.  Maybe you could put one in there?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ekutney on April 13, 2016, 12:06:32 AM. Can this aft water tank be seen from inside the lazerette?

Ed, I can just barely see the aft end of it from down in the lazarette.  I've never taken the aft cabin aft bulkhead off, although I have "exposed" the fuel tank.  The aft H2O tank on our boat is just forward of the fridge compressor unit on the starboard side.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 17, 2016, 08:19:55 PM
aft H2O tank on our boat is just forward of the fridge compressor unit on the starboard side.

Ed, it's just to the left in the first picture, here:

broken link, see below

Ekutney

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson