catalina 34 review

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

I noticed he has outside jib tracks. Anyone know if those are available and can be installed on a MK1?

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Steve McGill

Jon,

I have the outside tracks, the boat was delivered to the original owner with them. I assumed it was Catalina that installed.

A great article, but what did we expect..............

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Jon W

I talked to Warren at Catalina, apparently not a Catalina installed item. His guess was a dealer installed them. Do you have a picture of your outside tracks or know the length?   Thanks.   Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on April 12, 2016, 10:42:07 AM
I talked to Warren at Catalina, apparently not a Catalina installed item. His guess was a dealer installed them. Do you have a picture of your outside tracks or know the length?   Thanks.   Jon W.

Not true per the price list for the older boats:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:1985pricelist.jpg
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

I have never seen a 34 or a 36 without the outside track, The outside track is used for reaching with the genoa or for the spinnaker sheets/guys.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Jon W

I guess Warren was mistaken then. My boat doesn't have them and would like to add for spinnaker and using a whisker pole. Spoke to Len in parts this time and he's looking for the part number. Apparently all come from the factory in straight sections and they are bent as you install them.

Gary are yours 1" or 1 1/4"? Thanks for the help.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Gary Brockman on April 12, 2016, 11:41:52 AM
I have never seen a 34 or a 36 without the outside track, The outside track is used for reaching with the genoa or for the spinnaker sheets/guys.

Gary, based on the price list, they were an OPTION.  My PO chose to NOT buy that option.  I do not have outside tracks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Gary Brockman

Like I said, all of the 34's and 36's I have seen have had the outside tracks (6 on my dock), but I guess I haven't seen enough.

My outside tracks are 1 1/4".

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Sailing Steve

The outside tracks are on mine, and I ass/u/me d they were standard - Use them to fly my asymmetrical.
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

How far aft are your outboard tracks mounted? Got a photo?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : My 1988 does not have a "rail" genoa track. 

To fly my asymmetrical spinnaker - What I did was attach a large snap shackle with a single block to the stern cleats.  Then I ran the sheet line thru that block back to the primary winch.  Worked Great!!   :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788