K&N air filter breather hose

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Installing a K&N air filter on my 25xp engine, does anyone know what to do with the oil breather hose?  I have exhausted my search through the archives and can't find what others have done, do I just strap it to the filter like the old set up had?  Get a seperate can to put it in? sure I will figure something out, but curious to see what others have done when they switched to the K&N filter.  thanks
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : Look in WiKi and you'll find the option of drilling/taping into the intake manifold - to attach the oil breather hose to.

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on April 09, 2016, 09:45:43 AM
Installing a K&N air filter on my 25xp engine, does anyone know what to do with the oil breather hose?  I have exhausted my search through the archives and can't find what others have done, do I just strap it to the filter like the old set up had?  Get a seperate can to put it in? sure I will figure something out, but curious to see what others have done when they switched to the K&N filter.  thanks

Bob,

Your XP should have a knockout on the intake manifold next to the silencer throat.  if so, you can get friction-fit hose nipple for the knockout from Kubota and the OEM hose (I think it's 3/4?) fits the nipple.  I recently did this on a customer's XP on a C30.  This is the method to terminate the breather hose on some of the Kb tractors that use the XP equivalent engine.

Alternately, drill and tap the manifold or throat for an npt x hose barb (use a rag to catch filings when drilling.)

Or KN makes an adapter that fits the filter (between top and bottom plates) and a hose attaches to (not sure what hose diameters it is available in.

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

See pic of breather hose attached at manifold.

kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Teck wiki, Engines, Misc. Projects:

Options to Route Crankcase Breather Hose to Air Intake VIEW THE PDF

Remote Oil Filter Details from Maine Sail: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/engines/230865-remote-oil-filter-kubota-diesel.html#post3224841

You'll have to actually go to the wiki to cliock the link on the first one, but I don't think it has that info that Ron mentioned.  There are many K&N discussions on the forum, one with pictures of Rick Allen's setup he did last year.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Noah

What is the advantage of thr KN over standard OEM can assembly?
Standard Rig

Ken Juul

I don't think there is any difference in what filter you use.  Most boats are not used in dusty environments, it is more noise silencer than a filter.  I just cut foam rubber to the proper size, whip stitch the ends together and use it until in gets dirty.  Toss it and make a new one.  I added a 90 degree hose barb to the top of the oem filter and run the breather to that.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Noah

Yeah, my plan too. Does anyone have a pic of where the breather hose comes off the engine?
Standard Rig

Ken Juul

it is attached to the valve cover
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick Allen

Bob, this my setup..
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Ekutney

a pic of my installation, it was straight forward with the vast amount of info on this site.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

KWKloeber

Yaaaaaayyyy   :clap :clap

Quote from: Ekutney on November 21, 2016, 03:29:44 PM
a pic of my installation, it was straight forward with the vast amount of info on this site.

mainesail

Please remember that we are on sailboats that heel when motor sailing. In order to avoid a run-away diesel or excess carbon, it's a good idea to put a "trap" in the PCV line before it hits the manifold or air filter. Even a cheap in-line filter for an air compressor will work to capture any oil before it gets to the manifold. These are often called "oil/air separators" or "oil catch cans".
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/