heat exchanger (pencil zincs)

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory M

I know, this subject was on the forum before, but is still a bit of mystery to me. I sail in fresh water, (Georgian Bay), all my outside "zincs" are magnesium.
So, question is: shouldn't  pencil  "zinc" inside HE be magnesium also? If so where I could get one? Or m I worry too much?
Greg.
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Gregory M

Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Ed Shankle

Related topic; while shopping at West Marine I saw that they were carrying lots of aluminum zincs for salt water boats. Supposedly rated as good as the lead zincs. First time I've seen this, so I was a bit reluctant to buy. Also, they didn't have aluminum pencil zincs, another reason to hold off buying right away.
Anybody have experience with aluminum zincs they can share? Is there any benefit to attaching a lighter zinc to the shaft? Does it get "consumed" at a similar rate? It is cheaper!

regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ed Shankle on April 07, 2016, 09:45:43 AM
Related topic; while shopping at West Marine I saw that they were carrying lots of aluminum zincs for salt water boats. Supposedly rated as good as the lead zincs. First time I've seen this, so I was a bit reluctant to buy. Also, they didn't have aluminum pencil zincs, another reason to hold off buying right away.
Anybody have experience with aluminum zincs they can share? Is there any benefit to attaching a lighter zinc to the shaft? Does it get "consumed" at a similar rate? It is cheaper!

regards,
Ed

Zinc = salt
Magnesium = freshwater
Aluminum = brackish

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ed : "Zincs" (anodes) are made out of Zinc, Aluminum or Magnesium --  not lead.   
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ed Shankle

ok. Holding aside the corrections for using the wrong terminology, WM is presenting aluminum anodes as appropriate for saltwater. Ken you say just brackish. Is there a definitive source? Has anyone used aluminum in salt water?

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Steve McGill

Ed,

I went to Aluminum anodes 2 years ago after reading and seeing articles in/at defender.com, WM, boatzincs.com and Cruising World. My home port is brackish water in the  Chesapeake.  Doing a search on "anodes zinc or aluminum" there are many creditable articles for using aluminum in salt and brackish waters.

Just my 2 cents....................

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD