Vent Cover

Previous topic - Next topic

crimmins

I am unable to fasten the vent covers on the stern of my 2003 Catalina 34. They are loose and could easily fall into the water. Does anyone have a suggestion to fasten the vents securely in place or should they be replaced with ones that will easily fasten??

Ron Hill

crim : How about a picture of your "vent covers" !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

These?

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Phil Spicer

Crim, sounds like the mounting holes may be to large for the screws. The vent tube on the vent should keep the vent from falling off. Some thoughts.
Try a larger diameter screw. This may need a larger hole in the vent.
Put thickened epoxy in old holes and drill new holes of proper size, then refasten the vents.
Through bolt the vents and use ESNA nuts (nylon insert nuts). Hard to get to, but they won't come loose again.
Just some thoughts. Don't know the reason the vents are loose.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

KWKloeber

:idea: If it's due to stripped-out screw holes you can do this on anything with that problem:

Drill out the holes larger, but small enough that the vent still covers the hole.
Clean off the hole with acetone-soaked cotton swab ("Q tip") and as much as you can get "behind."
Tape off around the hole.
Get a couple foam earplugs (dollar store.) Trim them smaller if needed (so they will squish tightly thru the hole.)
Wet out the plugs w/ epoxy resin/hardener, no thickener.
Push the goo in, leaving only enough outside so the plug doesn't push through.
Just when the epoxy kicks, trim the plug flush with a razor blade, remove the tape, if necessary clean up (carefully) with acetone damp rag.
:wait wait.
Next day, redrill the holes. 
Voila` :party A non-metallic mushroom wall anchor that won't fall off if you remove the screw.

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Crim : The first thing I'd try is to get the next size oval head screw and see if that doesn't do the trick.

If not, I'd counter sink the hole, and fill it with epoxy putty and re-drill for the original screws.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788