Solar Help

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

Usable space on my Bimini is not as much as I had hoped (window on front & zipper for backstay through the center of back) so I am looking at two square panels - one on each side of the zipper.

I'm new to the solar scene. What would be better 2 50W panels @ 2.83 Amps & 17.64 V or two 64W panels @ 5.3A but 10V?
I have a four battery (Trojan  105's) house bank and am considering a Blue Solar (Victron) MPPT https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt7510. It has bluetooth capability so you can monitor battery state and solar charge status/history on a portable device rather than installing another display at the Nav station.

Would I need to wire the 10V panels in Series to bring the voltage up or use an MPPT with boost capability?

-sorry to display my ignorance....
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

Hard to say about size of panel.  Do you have power during the week ?
I'm on a mooring, so all I have is solar to recharge. I have a 250W panel / MPPT controller.

I made my panel support to hold panel sideway after the backstay.
Made 2 arches clamped on an horizontal bar on the bimini frame.  Then I have two support to offset panel behind the backstay.
SO panel is over my bimini portion left behind backstay and not protruding bimini canva.

Here are some pictures I have.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

DaveBMusik

Thanks Stu! I had read some of his stuff before and especially like the analogy of voltage with air pressure.

Nice set-up Patrice! I was originally going to be on a mooring but decided on a slip for at least the first year. I still like the idea of topping off the battery during the week without being plugged in and to help out with power a bit while cruising but wish there was a bit more real estate on the Bimini without building a frame.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

mainesail

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 28, 2016, 11:58:23 AM
Usable space on my Bimini is not as much as I had hoped (window on front & zipper for backstay through the center of back) so I am looking at two square panels - one on each side of the zipper.

I'm new to the solar scene. What would be better 2 50W panels @ 2.83 Amps & 17.64 V or two 64W panels @ 5.3A but 10V?
I have a four battery (Trojan  105's) house bank and am considering a Blue Solar (Victron) MPPT https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt7510. It has bluetooth capability so you can monitor battery state and solar charge status/history on a portable device rather than installing another display at the Nav station.

Would I need to wire the 10V panels in Series to bring the voltage up or use an MPPT with boost capability?

-sorry to display my ignorance....

For 10V panels you would need a controller like the Genasun GV Boost controllers. Wiring the panels in series can result in poorer performance than parallel due to shading. The best performance in a shaded installation means one controller per panel or parallel panels with one controller..

Genasun GV Boost Controller
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

DaveBMusik

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

patrice

Hi,

If your going to the expence of installing a solar setup, if I was you, I would go for something that would be enough to be on a mooring.  (no dock power )
So if you feel like going to a mooring next year or in two, your solar system won't need to be replace.
my opinion...
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

DaveBMusik

Quote from: patrice on March 31, 2016, 04:41:33 AM
Hi,

If your going to the expence of installing a solar setup, if I was you, I would go for something that would be enough to be on a mooring.  (no dock power )
So if you feel like going to a mooring next year or in two, your solar system won't need to be replace.
my opinion...

I am slowly coming to the realization that the Bimini I have may not be the way to go. I do have davits and may go that way. I will probably wait until summer, get a better feel for the boat and make a decision then.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

bayates

I am installing two 100w flexible panels with 2 victron controllers and the BT LPE dongle to monitor the panels. Mounting the with Velcro on the bimini on both sides of the window. Will take pictures as we go along over next two weeks. The goal is to have complete next weekend.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

DaveBMusik

Very interested how you make out Brian. I was a little concerned going over the middle hoop. Are you going to put any kind of reinforcement under the panels there?
Are you going with the 70/15's? The phone App looks pretty interesting
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT