Connecticut Catalina Knowledgable Persons

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Hi All,

As a new person to boat ownership and Catalinas I was hoping to find a local resource or two who might be able to provide some in person guidance/advice as I work to improve the C34 I purchased last year. I'm more then happy to (and think capable) do most of the work myself, but don't feel knowledgeable enough to know where to start and what to focus on first.

Are you, do you know, could you recommend anyone in the Connecticut area who'd be interested in sharing their knowledge?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Stu Jackson

Ben,

Although I'm from the Left Coast, IIRC the shoreline of CT is kinda long.

It would help anyone to help you to let us know where your boat is located.

A shortlist of the things you have in mind would also help.  It might be we could help you on the forum, in addition to any personal contacts.

Added --- just saw your other post.  Is that it?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DaveBMusik

I just closed on #206 today and will be keeping it in Noank. Although much was already upgraded, perhaps we could trade notes.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Indian Falls

Maybe you've seen this already.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=6842.0

The severe "smile" may not be from a grounding it may be from water freezing in the space between the keel and the stub.  Did this boat come from an area with long cold winter or has it been in CT all this time?

How bad does it leak into the bilge through your keel bolt holes?  Are the keel bolts tight? I bet you find them pretty loose especially up front. 

Now that you have a garboard plug, I'd keep it.

I have some cracks around the skeg similar but not as dramatic as yours. I believe mine are from wrapping a stern line twice that I know of.  Yours could easily be from improper blocking during storage.

It also occurred to me that if someone went crazy with backstay tension it could pull your ends up causing cracks in those two places, especially if overtightened and left that way for a few seasons.
I posed this question long time ago and got mostly "never thought of that before".  It is only fiber glass.

Keep us in the loop!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Noah

I think he has never had the boat in the water and it has been out of the water for many years prior to him purchasing it?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Indian Falls on March 26, 2016, 08:22:33 AM
Maybe you've seen this already.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=6842.0

Dan, your thread was so comprehensive and valuable, I put it in the 101 topics and linked it in Ben;s other post:

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 25, 2016, 03:47:24 PM
Rebedding a Keel Stub 101  The Catalina Smile with Pictures

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6842.0.html

I also put it in the tech wiki under Hull.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ben H.

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 25, 2016, 04:02:37 PM
It would help anyone to help you to let us know where your boat is located.

A shortlist of the things you have in mind would also help.  It might be we could help you on the forum, in addition to any personal contacts.

Added --- just saw your other post.  Is that it?

The boat is currently located in Naugatuck, CT at a storage yard. Looking to have it moved to a marina in a month or two. Possibly Branford, CT.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Ben H.

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 25, 2016, 06:11:35 PM
I just closed on #206 today and will be keeping it in Noank. Although much was already upgraded, perhaps we could trade notes.

Sounds good to me! Congratulations!
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Ben H.

Quote from: Noah on March 26, 2016, 09:53:38 AM
I think he has never had the boat in the water and it has been out of the water for many years prior to him purchasing it?

Noah is right, It hasn't been in the water for a few years and I only just got it. CT does have COLD winters, but not so much recently.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Stewartn

Where are you in CT?
Stewart Napoleon
C34, 1472
Old Greenwich Yacht Club
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Stewartn

Ben,
A suggestion: There is a Long Island Sound Catalina Association, LISCA. I am a member and I know there are several Catalinas in the association docked there or close by. Give a look at the web site, http://www.saillisca.com/ Great group, inexpensive membership. Feel free to email or call me for more info.
land 203 869 8057, stewartn@optonline.net
Rgds
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

BillG

Not sure what kind of budget you have for improvements, but I would certainly take the advice and have an expert look at some of the hull damage.  i agree that it looks like it might have had a pretty hard grounding at one time.  Obviously something that needs to be done before splashing.  Also looks like the mast might be on the hard, so it is a great time to begin work on that before it goes back up. As another topic has pointed out, the mast needs to be down to replace sheaves, you won't believe the difference  in the new ones from garhauer.  Also a good time to replace halyards, upgrading the wires in the mast and any new antennas or cables.  Just the beginning!!!!
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ben H.

Quote from: Stewartn on March 28, 2016, 08:18:18 AM
Ben,
A suggestion: There is a Long Island Sound Catalina Association, LISCA.

Joined last week.

I work out of Fairfield, CT. Boat is currently in Naugatuck, CT. Looking for a yard not too far from Fairfield. Maybe, Branford.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886