Fixed port window.

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

I am replacing a fixed port window. Above the galley and aft stateroom.

I removed the window and used denature alcohol to clean the remaining silicon. This window Frame had a black paint that came off very easy with this alcohol. Any ideas what type of paint this would be. Should I repaint this before I caulk this ? I plan on using Dow 795 ( if I can find it).
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

KWKloeber

Quote from: Brad Young on March 23, 2016, 06:35:07 PM

( if I can find it).

Typically you need to go to a builder/contractor's supply house (not a Big Box) or Amazon.
Also I believe the Dow website has a search for dealers of certain products. 

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

I believe Catalina Direct sells it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

patrice

Hi,

I've been told that you could go check with your local car shop that fix / replace car windows.
They use caulking that stays very flexible.

ANd yes, the paint that came of is a primer, you need to reapply for the caulking to stick to the window.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

KWKloeber

Quote from: Brad Young on March 23, 2016, 06:35:07 PM
I am replacing a fixed port window. Above the galley and aft stateroom.

I removed the window and used denature alcohol to clean the remaining silicon. This window Frame had a black paint that came off very easy with this alcohol. Any ideas what type of paint this would be. Should I repaint this before I caulk this ? I plan on using Dow 795 ( if I can find it).

Not familiar with the C34 window -- are you bedding an aluminum frame against the fiberglass coachroof with fasteners (screws or thru bolts) or does the silicone need to hold it in place?

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Brad Young

Thanks for the primer information. Is this just normal auto primer?

There is no aluminum frame. Just fiberglass. It had screws that kept the window held tight while the silicon cured. I am not doing this. I am not using screws.  I am building a jig, like Catinlina recommends, that will apply pressure on the outside.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Noah

I think the "black primer" you found is an anomaly. I don't believe there should be any primer, nor is it needed for those windows. But someone please chime in if I am incorrect. Just use proper caulking/sealant to bed it, and either use screws or a jig to hold window in place while curing. Search this site and I bet you'll find lots how to R&R these windows.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Brad Young on March 24, 2016, 10:17:17 AM
Thanks for the primer information. Is this just normal auto primer?

There is no aluminum frame. Just fiberglass. It had screws that kept the window held tight while the silicon cured. I am not doing this. I am not using screws.  I am building a jig, like Catinlina recommends, that will apply pressure on the outside.

Roger on that - then you are correct that you want a strong adhesive-sealant not a soft caulking.  DC 795 is your best bet.

I have a CTY PDF or instructions for port rebedding that I could email.  It;s too large to attach here and I gave up trying to figure out how to upload a PDF to the techwiki.
No primer, clean with acetone, and fine sand for adhesion.

Cheers,
Ken

mregan

I just used black Dow sealant when I replaced mine.  No primer.  The sealant oozed enough where it covered all the white fiberglass so you don't see it under the plexiglass.

Brad Young

I can get a competitors product. GE2000, instead of the Dow. Does anyone have experience with the GE product?
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

KWKloeber

Quote from: Brad Young on March 24, 2016, 12:34:45 PM
I can get a competitors product. GE2000, instead of the Dow. Does anyone have experience with the GE product?

It's "supposed to be" comparable, but why not just use what CTY recommends????????

kk

Brad Young

I have not been able to locate in San Diego. Yet :cry4`
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

KWKloeber

Quote from: Brad Young on March 24, 2016, 02:06:29 PM
I have not been able to locate in San Diego. Yet :cry4`

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8851.msg63638.html#msg63638

As I said -- amazon.  did you look on the dow site for SD distributors?

kk

Brad Young

I have now found a place. Once I went to dowcorning instead of Dow, it was an easy find.

Thanks
Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

mregan

Get some 1/8" black foam gasket and cut little pieces and put around the window frame.  This will allow a small gap between the window and frame so all the sealant doesn't get squeezed out when you apply pressure to the window.  I got some gasket at Home Depot.
Also, be sure to tape off around the inside of the window frame and the inside of the window that won't be covered by the sealant.  Once you apply the pressure to the window/frame, the sealant oozes everywhere.  Much easier cleanup if everything is taped off well.