Solar Install

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I'm planning on installing a flexible solar panel on my Bimini. It seems the Solbian dealer is out of the longer Solbian panels and suggested Gioco. Does anyone have any experience with them?
I'd like to be in the neighborhood of 150 watts and could go with two smaller panels. Although two might be better for shading, it is more wiring, more velcro, controllers, etc.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Paulus

I installed a flexible solar panel from Grape Solar company.  I put a 100 watt on my bimini, this is the beginning of my 3rd season, very happy.  I leave it on the boat, not on the bimini but place it on wooden strips fastened to the bimini supports during the winter months.  Grape Solar company does not make these panels but gets them from China.
Somewhere I posted pics of the original installation.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

J_Sail

I don't know if you have already researched how to attach the panels, but I am very happy with our velcro on bimini setup. It is quite similar to what is shown in the two links below.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solbian_solar_panel

http://www.bruceschwab.com/uploads/solbian-to-canvas-guidelines.pdf

I purchased 2 panels (I think they were Solbian CP125's) from Bruce Schwab a couple years ago and have been very happy.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 22, 2016, 04:59:49 AM
..................It seems the Solbian dealer is out of the longer Solbian panels and suggested Gioco. Does anyone have any experience with them?

..............I'd like to be in the neighborhood of 150 watts and could go with two smaller panels. Although it might be better for shading, it is more wiring, more velcro, controllers, etc.

Hi, Dave,

The general consensus is that "inferior" panels may not be the best "investment,"   and that an MPPT controller is also the way to go.  I have read an incredible amount of stuff about panels, but IIRC, there hasn't been a whole lot of support for an "Avis" of flexible panels.  Maine Sail may see this.  You might also do an internet Google search with Maine Sail in the search parameters.

Smitty used Renogy panels which he had to return based on a recall you may have heard about.  Many folks used them instead of Solbians.  Smitty may have updated his blog about it:  https://svsmitty.wordpress.com/

Two smaller is generally also preferred for shading issues, your choice of parallel or series, I assume you've done the homework on that issue.

Your boat, your choice.  :D

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

J_Sail

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 22, 2016, 05:58:16 PM

Two smaller is generally also preferred for shading issues, your choice of parallel or series, I assume you've done the homework on that issue.

Rather than accepting the tradeoffs of directly paralleling or serially connecting the panels, I would recommend upgrading to a separate MPPT controller for each. For only $100 more, you get separate optimization/control of each panel so that you always get the max possible output available for a given amount of sun/shade on each.  I used a pair of Genasun GV-10-Pb units.  You simply parallel the output of the pair of controllers and than run a wire from them to the house battery bus (fused within 7" of the house battery bus).

DaveBMusik

Bruce is the person who is out of the larger Solbians and suggested Giocos. Apparently the larger panels are extremely expensive to ship and it didn't sound like any more were in the works...

I also contacted Maine who gets his panels from Bruce...

I had originally looked at the Go Power kit available through Defender but can't find out from the manufacturer web site where the panels are made. The controller is a bit questionable as well but Defender just purchased two pallets of them...

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2290044|2290050&id=2485752

I think I would prefer the Solbians (CP145) if they were available so that leads me back to my original question-
Does anyone have any 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of Giocos which were recommended by Bruce?

Two smaller panels would be possible, and might better for shading, but again more $ for two MPPT's, additional canvas expense, wiring, etc.

Thanks!

Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

mregan

You could try HamiltonFerris.  They have solar packages available.    They also use some sort of snaps to attach the panels to the bimini.  Allows the panels to be removed quickly yet holds them securely.  Looked like a simpler system than velcro.
I haven't installed anything from them but was in contact with them last year about putting a package together for my boat.  Not sure if I'll get to it this year though.

http://www.hamiltonferris.com/products/Solar_Power/SolarFlexx_Flexible_Panels/71

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 23, 2016, 06:45:24 AM
Bruce is the person who is out of the larger Solbians and suggested Giocos.

Does anyone have any 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of Giocos which were recommended by Bruce?

Dave, going back to my last post: "...but IIRC, there hasn't been a whole lot of support for an "Avis" of flexible panels..."

You have quoted two of the most respected names in boat electrical systems.

If the two of them say these panels are OK, why would you consider asking any more?   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

DaveBMusik

Quote from: mregan on March 23, 2016, 07:04:46 AM
You could try HamiltonFerris.  They have solar packages available.    They also use some sort of snaps to attach the panels to the bimini.  Allows the panels to be removed quickly yet holds them securely.  Looked like a simpler system than velcro.
I haven't installed anything from them but was in contact with them last year about putting a package together for my boat.  Not sure if I'll get to it this year though.

http://www.hamiltonferris.com/products/Solar_Power/SolarFlexx_Flexible_Panels/71

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how the snaps would hold up. It seems like a very small surface area and would put the canvas at risk of tearing. I did contact them to see if their panels could be velcroed.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 23, 2016, 07:44:21 AM

Dave, going back to my last post: "...but IIRC, there hasn't been a whole lot of support for an "Avis" of flexible panels..."

If the two of them say these panels are OK, why would you consider asking any more?   :D :D :D

Maine did not mention Giocos, just Bruce. Although I read Bruce's Bio and we have mutual interests in music and cycling as well as sailing, I do not know about him as a business person so just doing my homework.
Modify message
Report to moderator     64.251.53.2
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 23, 2016, 08:35:55 AM

Maine did not mention Giocos, just Bruce. Although I read Bruce's Bio and we have mutual interests in music and cycling as well as sailing, I do not know about him as a business person so just doing my homework.

Bruce sailed his boat, Ocean Planet, around the, uhm, planet.  :D He is one of the most trustworthy folks around.  You could also pm Maine Sail (mainesail on this board) and ask him.  Bruce used to sail around here, too.  Great fella.

mainesail

Modify message

Gioco panels are also a good quality semi-flexible panel. They are made a few miles away from the Solbian factory not knocked off in China. Solara and Aurinco are also good but are both heavier. The cheap Chinese panels are loaded with microcracking, use fake SunPower or gray market orphaned SunPower cells (not A grade cells like Gioco & Solbian use) and the knock offs can and do create hot spots bad enough to burn through a bimini.

If your bimini will suport rigid panels they will be less costly and have a longer life. If the bimini won't support rigid panels then stick with a quality semi-flexible brand.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

DaveBMusik

Quote from: mainesail on March 23, 2016, 10:33:42 AM

Modify message

Gioco panels are also a good quality semi-flexible panel. They are made a few miles away from the Solbian factory not knocked off in China. Solara and Aurinco are also good but are both heavier. The cheap Chinese panels are loaded with microcracking, use fake SunPower or gray market orphaned SunPower cells (not A grade cells like Gioco & Solbian use) and the knock offs can and do create hot spots bad enough to burn through a bimini.

If your bimini will suport rigid panels they will be less costly and have a longer life. If the bimini won't support rigid panels then stick with a quality semi-flexible brand.

Thank you Maine!!! The hard part for me is knowing which are the Chinese.
Are the Go Power "Solar Flex" (defender Link above) or the "Solar Flexx" both reputable or are they knock-offs?
http://www.hamiltonferris.com/products/Solar_Power/Flex_Power_Flexible_Solar_Panels/71
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

mainesail

While GoPower is a reputable company the panels are still knock offs made in China. Of the Chinese knock off re-sellers you'd have your best luck with GoPower standing behind them than the others. The big problem is that when, not if, they need to be replaced will you still be able to get the same form factor panel..?
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Paulus

Does anyone know where this Solbian factory is located?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944