Raw Water Punp

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Pulled the pump when I winterized in the fall.  It was leaking badly.  It is the Sherwood that everyone hates.  I don't mind, pumps well, I can change impellers on a hot or cold engine in a matter of minutes and I have too many spare impellers to toss it or switch.  Upon dissassembly I found the water side seals shot, the inner bearing shot because of water intrusion and most of the water side circlips in bad shape.  The shaft, face plate and both sides of the case were in reusable condition.  I haven't got the bill yet, but Ken Kloeber was able to order all the internal bits to complete the rebuild.  It will be a substantial savings over a new pump or and probably less than the "major rebuild kit" offered by Depco.

I also got new K75 motor mounts from Ken.  Cheapest place I could find. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : There are two sides to DEPCO!!

Most of us talk to the supply side to get parts, but I've also talked to the maintenance side where they do the pump rebuilds.  You might want to talk to those guys that do the rebuilds first before ordering parts.

Look at the Mainsheet Tech Note article that I wrote on rebuilding a Sherwood pump and you'll find that I replaced and recommend that salt water sailors replace the bronze retaining ring clip with a stainless retaining ring clip.  I list the ring clip stock number at the Prospect Fastener Corp (800)822-6080.  I also gave that stock # to DEPCO and recommended they stock that item (have no idea if they ever did??).

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788