M25xp leaking oil from top of dip stick

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

Just changed the oil after 100 hours of motoring on our trip and noticed that oil is leaking past the dip stick at the top of the tube.  Watched it for a while and it is defiantly leaking.  So the question is the rubber plug of the dip stick suppose to prevent this and I need a new one that seals better or is my PVC mod for the crankcase vent causing too much back pressure?  I have the vent hose routed through an oil separator  then to the air intake assembly.  Just recently added the connection the the air filter assembly.  Engine runs smooth and starts easily in cold weather so I don't think I have too much blow by.  I don't have my compression test equipment with me. Was thinking of disconnecting the vent hose to see if this helps.
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

The vent tube should not be a problem unless it is plugged somehow.  I would check it for free air flow first.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Quote from: pablosgirl on March 21, 2016, 12:10:08 PM
I have the vent hose routed through an oil separator  then to the air intake assembly.  Just recently added the connection the the air filter assembly.
Paul

There's no need to route the blowby thru an oil separator.
Pic of the air intake and vent hose - how do you have it connected?  That probably isn't the problem though since it's a new problem.

Check the foam filter under the valve cover, and make sure the vent hose/fittings aren't blocked.

Is the rubber plug loose?  Deteriorated? I think before I bought an overpriced Westerbeke dipstick I'd see if I could fashion a new plug if then ends being the problem.

Best to troubleshoot/isolate the cause before randomly replacing parts.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

pablosgirl

Hi,
I was able to make a temporary repair using narrow strips of gorilla tape wound around the top of the existing rubber plug.  I placed the tape between the top cap and the first rib down in the rubber cap.  I wound the tape until it was thick enough to contact the iner wall of the dip stick tube tightly.  This has stopped the leak for now.  I will need to order one from Tractorsmart.  Anyone havethe part number?  I did not bring the parts listalong with me.
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: pablosgirl on March 24, 2016, 03:47:18 PM
Hi,
I was able to make a temporary repair using narrow strips of gorilla tape wound around the top of the existing rubber plug.  I placed the tape between the top cap and the first rib down in the rubber cap.  I wound the tape until it was thick enough to contact the iner wall of the dip stick tube tightly.  This has stopped the leak for now.  I will need to order one from Tractorsmart.  Anyone havethe part number?  I did not bring the parts listalong with me.
Paul

Paul,

The dipstick for the XPp is not the same as for the tractor engines.  The tractors had the DS on the port side and it was a longer ds (see the blind plug in the port-side ds location on the XP manual.)  http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/marine_diesel_direct/Universal/

The p/n is on the dipstick (for my M25 it was 15377-36412 or -- should be the same superseder for the XP)  but is NLA from Kb.  That's why I said you might want to try to make a new rubber plug (from a rubber stopper maybe?)   

I also show a short DS p/n 15377-36410 (which may or may not be the same length as the other DS.) 

Or pay Westerbeke"s 3x price for an $8 DS.

Ken   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Indian Falls

I'm with Ron and KK, get a new dipstick seal and take the element out of the oil separator.
If you can't blow through it easily it's no good.  As soon as an oil separator element gets wet it increases the resistance.  Hopefully its just centrifugal and not the fiber type, which if it is, take that element out is what I'd do.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?