Latest generation of autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I have a Autohelm ST4000+ wheel pilot.  Single hand a lot and use the autopilot often.  Have never been really happy with the operation.  I've adjusted and tweeked have improved is some.  It works good to OK most of the time.  But, was wondering if the new generation of autopilots would make it worth the boat bucks and the installation work to move up.  So, I'm asking the sailors who have updated  if they think the new autopilots work better?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, my response to John's recent post covers what I'd respond to based on your post:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8839.msg63562.html#msg63562

ITWMB, I'd examine the issues I discussed there, and determine what the risk vs. reward, and cost would be.

The options are simple:

1.  No autopilot

2.  A TOY like my ST3000

3.  A more robust one like yours

4.  A newer wheelpilot which may be stronger than the ST4000 series

5.  A below decks model

I would seriously hesitate going from 3 to 4, but going from 3 to 5 would for sure make a LOT of difference.

Good luck, so much has to do with how YOU use YOUR boat.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

My hydraulic, below deck autopilot is great! But it was pricey and labor intensive to install. Also, if I ever had to drop the rudder, it would be "a big drama."
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Scott Hibbs

Stu is correct...a below deck makes a lot of difference.  I installed an EV-200 below deck autopilot last summer, replacing an older wheel unit.  Performance is outstanding - but heed Noah's comment on cost and labor!
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

Roc

Several years ago I had to send the Autopilot head to Raymarine because it would steer one direction but not the other.  I have the ST4000+.  They told me they programmed the "Catalina Cocktail" settings.  I forgot what they were, but it now works great.  the wheel doesn't constantly move in small increments side to side to stay on track. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

patrice

Hi Roc,

If you ever find your receipe of the cocktail, it would be nice to give it a try.
Cause mine does exactly that, keep stearing in 'Slalom' and drive me nut.  So I don't use it.
The slalom keep going bigger and bigger.
I have the ST4000
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

Patrice,
Here is a link to the Catalina cocktail

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=8641.0

I use it and change the setting (rudder gain?) as conditions dictate. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

patrice

Thank you.
Took it in note, and give it a try in a few weeksss ....  ouch about 8 more    :cry4`
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mark_53

I didn't have an autopilot before so I can't say if it's worth it to upgrade but I just installed a new EV-100 p70 Wheel pilot. Seems to work fine an integrates nicely with E7d chart plotter. Was more difficult to install than I thought primarily the wire routing and outdated instructions. Raymarine online support was invaluable though.  Installed new angle guard and Navpod to house the p70 and E7d. Was able to use the 1" angle guard with one bend. 

Rortega46

Marc 53
I am thinking about doing just as you've done and installing a Raymarine EV-100 AP and connecting it to a E7 MFD.  Since you've just installed this your insight on a few related questions would be very helpful.  My ST4000 AP is jerky and deviates from the intended course 15-30 degrees, so what has been you course keeping experience with the EV-100?  Also, what's been your experience with the E7 / AP integration? Does it integrate well with the E7 and do you use the Advanced Sailing Tools of the E7?  Where and how did you install the ACU-100 and EV Sensor Core components of the EV-100.  I want to network existing  ST60 wind, speed and depth instruments so if you've done something like this, how did you do the related networking and how has it worked out?  Any other insights into the install process or using the AP or E7 will be appreciated.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

mark_53

Quote from: Rortega46 on April 07, 2016, 09:16:06 AM
Marc 53
I am thinking about doing just as you've done and installing a Raymarine EV-100 AP and connecting it to a E7 MFD.  Since you've just installed this your insight on a few related questions would be very helpful.  My ST4000 AP is jerky and deviates from the intended course 15-30 degrees, so what has been you course keeping experience with the EV-100?
Rortega46:
Can't give you much in the way of experience yet, but on test runs it seems to track fine.

Also, what's been your experience with the E7 / AP integration? Does it integrate well with the E7 and do you use the Advanced Sailing Tools of the E7?
It integrates quite easily software wise. The challenging part was the wiring.  Sounds like you have that already in place. .  Make sure each unit (ACU, EV-1, p70, and E7) has the latest firmware updates. Each unit communicates through the Seatakng network, when you update the E7, it should update the others.  You'll need a microSD card to download from the Raymarine site.

Where and how did you install the ACU-100 and EV Sensor Core components of the EV-100.  I want to network existing  ST60 wind, speed and depth instruments so if you've done something like this, how did you do the related networking and how has it worked out?  Any other insights into the install process or using the AP or E7 will be appreciated.

I installed everything under the helm.  ACU on the starboard support board, EV-1 all the way forward on the port support board.  Connected wires under the helm on the starboard aft locker outside panel. I bolted on a wood board and installed a power and ground bus to tie things together. Ran #10 wire to the panel where 3 switches activate the E7, Seatalkng, and ACU.  I can't help much with the ST60, but if it talks Seatakng, they should integrate by plugging into the nework.

I might add, before I installed the autopilot, I installed a isolated start/reserve battery with the help of this site!