Moving primary winches

Previous topic - Next topic

George Bean

A dock neighbor of mine did that to his C34 MkII.  He put spacers under the winches so they would stand up straight and not be angled outwards.  I installed a set of secondary's 15 inches aft of my primaries.  I went with Lewmar 40s instead of the more common 30's (with using them as an occasional jib winch in mind).  The coaming in that area is solid fiberglass and I backed them with a plate of ΒΌ inch of G-10. Port side installation is pretty straight forward (you will need to cut the bolts flush so they won't snag on things in the lazarette.  On starboard, you need to cut in a Beckson port for access.  But you will still have to split the backing plate to get it through the hole.  Tightening those nuts is no joy either.  The underneath surface of the coaming is ill regular so I used thickened epoxy to fill in and avoid point loading.

The downside is you will be restricted to 8" winch handles.  I think one of the reasons my neighbor raised his was so the winch handle would go between the two lifelines.  I use mine mostly on light days and when I'm being lazy.  When the wind is up I go back to the 44's and 10" winch handle for better leverage.  If you work the positioning correctly, you can still get a pretty fair lead if you are cross-sheeting.

Roc, I think there is a setting on the Autohelm where you can increase the tacking angle.  Mine has no problem on tacking through a 90 degree arc.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhen I use the "tack" feature, the boat usually only goes halfway (stops in irons) because the wheel levels off too soon, and the autopilot points the bow into the wind (this is not just in light conditions).  I have to press it again, then the autopilot completes the second part of the turn.  Does yours do that?  I've wondered if something isn't right on mine.....

Roc,  The manual is on the boat.  My memory is that there is a way to adjust the tacking angle.  I've not changed mine, have to be very close to the wind for it to tack in the standard mode.  What I do is change to the steer by wind function, then when tacking it just steers to the opposite wind angle.  Mine 4000st+ also over-steers some then comes back to the new tack. 
I've tried and have improved the wheel pilot operation some.  Still not 100% happy.  Think I'll start a new thread asking if anyone has gone to the new generation of autopilot have found them to be superior.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

I have an OLD ST3000.  IIRC the tacking angle is fixed but the RESPONSE can be adjusted through the CALIBRATE menu.  When sailing upwind or motoring I use the most responsive, IIRC #5.  When sailing downwind or motoring out on the ocean, I reset it to #1 or #2, a MUCH slower response time.  It stops the damn thing from going BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ all the time, much quieter.  I find that tacking with the autopilot is PITA, so I simply disengage it, stand in front of the wheel and tack "manually" with the wheel, and once on the new course (determined by knowing the 110 to 120 degree course change), and then simply reengage the autopilot.

I've done this "cruising" but also racing, both with crew and singlehanded (racing, successfully, too).

In the Singlehanded 101 Topic, John Langford and many of us had a quite spirited discussion about his techniques and my "defense" of avoiding "being a slave behind the wheel."  John had many, many very valid points to make about his particular cruising grounds, which included narrow channels, variable wind speeds and directions, heavy currents and the like, that required him to be behind the wheel.  I fully understand his concerns and issues.  All I can add to those discussions is that our cruising grounds vary, and each of us has to find those techniques that work for us, as well as the equipment we have.  I'm sure a below-decks autopilot would modify my behavior quite a bit!!! :thumb:

Like many things in boating, there is no one "right" answer.  Each of us needs to find what works for us.

It appears to me, given George's great description and perhaps Gerry's input, that there is a great deal of merit in consideration of adding sheet winches aft of the current locations.  I never "took" to cross sheeting on our C22 or C25, and would definitely not personally recommend it to anyone on a C34 simply because of the geometry of the cockpit winch locations.

I personally find staying forward of the wheel to be much more comfortable, even with our puny and anemic ST3000 "TOY" autopilot.  Part of it is that being behind the wheel means you're closer to the center of "bounce" --- the helmsperson's location  is bouncier than being closer to the companionway.  I find I get less "tipsy" when I'm forward of the wheel.  Have at it with the "tipsy" part!!! :clap :clap :clap

John has a different goal and we should encourage the possibilities offered to make it work for him.

Here is the Singlehanded 101 topic with those prior discussions.  Happy reading!!! :thumb:

Single Handing 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Barry White

After a couple of years with our 'new to us' 1986 C-34 Tall Rig Fin keel, the issue of being able to respond quickly to sudden wind gusts as a typical condition in sailing in the Halifax harbour, I decided that being able to let the mainsheet out from the helm, was an upgrade worth the investment of secondary winches (Anderson 28's) on the comings, and a "double-ended" mainsheet system. The modification has proven itself a worthy upgrade on numerous occasions. As we typically sail with full main and our 105% or 150% Jib, depending on TWS, it is much appreciated by all on board that the helmsman can keep Endorfin nicely planted as conditions change, without drama and intervention by those who as 'guests' are not sure what letting the mainsheet out, means. Single handing is a breeze.  :D

Cheers,
Barry White
S/V Endorfin
1986  C-34 TM, Fin Keel

Noah

Berry--What does your double-ended mainsheet set-up/run "look like"?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Barry White

Hi Noah, the "double-ended mainsheet" is set up with a single, continuous line, running from the starboard secondary winch, forward through blocks on the inside track, up and over the cabin (through an over-the-top Schaffer block), to the base of our mast (at deck level), then through our blocks on the boom, and returning in a "mirror image" path down the port side, terminating at the secondary port side winch. This enables me to trim the mainsheet on either tack, while sitting on the coming. My self-tailing secondaries are Anderson 28's mounted approximately 18-20 inches behind the primaries. I can easily let out, or haul in the main as changing conditions dictate, with one hand on the helm. Hope this clarifies,
Cheers,
Barry

Noah

Would love to see some pics--especially the "over the top" portion from deck track to mast. Thx.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

That's 'German sheeting' -- the same system on the J/120 I race on -- except of course the sheet winches are 40s and it has end-boom sheeting, so it's simpler and the runs are shorter.  Great but remember to keep the sheet centered and not end up sheeting it all to one winch (oooops been there.)

kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Barry White

Hi Noah, I have pictures on my home computer, but am currently away, so I'll try to dig up some pics and post them on my return. As Ken points out, you have to be aware of "balancing" the line occasionally, which is simple and takes no time... the key in mitigating this is simply make sure you have a few extra feet of mainsheet in the "loop". We race fairly competitively with this set-up, and typically double hand, and occasionally with a crew of 3, with no problems. On day-sails with "non-sailor" guests, it allows the admiral to entertain without the need to be focused on sail trim duties.
Cheers,

Barry

KWKloeber

Quote from: Barry White on March 28, 2016, 11:55:16 AM
As Ken points out, you have to be aware of "balancing" the line occasionally, which is simple and takes no time... the key in mitigating this is simply make sure you have a few extra feet of mainsheet in the "loop".
Barry

And on the J/120 clearly and brightly marking the center location of the sheet so it's easy to see when it's "about centered" at the boom  With the C34 boom blocks being far away, maybe at each winch marking on the lines the point of 'centered sheet.'

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain