Galley Sole

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Hey all,
As many of you know, we live aboard Kitty's Cat. One of the things that we have noticed is excessive wear on the galley flooring around the companionway steps. I am almost finished with a project that will solve that until we move up to a bigger boat in the future. Here is what I'm doing and why.

High wear area and dangerously slippery when the sole is removed.

Step 1: Remove the sections that make up the galley sole and put away in storage for refinishing
Step 2: An extremely thorough cleaning
Step 3: Purchase 14 squares of Almond Dri Dek
Step 4: Lay Dri Dek down. 10 will roughly fill in the area without trimming. The remaining 4 squares are used to cut to size around the perimeter of the sole

Result is an easy to clean surface that provides a very sure grip when wet. Unlike the wooded sole, dri dek allows water to drain through the factory drilled drain holes under your sole. To clean (Dry) Vacuum (Wet) Mop. Every once in awhile we think you'll need to pull back and sweep/mop underneath.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ekutney

It sounds like a very functional idea but not as good looking as the original galley deck.

Are you planning to do the entire deck are or just the area in the galley at the bottom of the companionway? 

Seems like it would work for the head as well, make it less slippery and allow water drainage.

The admiral could pick the desired color, which are going with?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

I just reread your post noticed you're going with an Almond color.  I just read a review that said it does not stay in place, are you planning on securing it somehow?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ken Juul

We used to have that as a grate in the cockpit.  Did not like it, maybe we are softies, but it hurt to walk on it.  Also because of the many holes and traction dimples they were a pain to keep clean.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

patrice

Hi,

We use a small carpet with a rubber backing.  Forgot where we got it, 
It keep the area clean and not slippery.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Quote from: patrice on February 23, 2016, 12:13:12 PM
We use a small carpet with a rubber backing.  Forgot where we got it, 
It keep the area clean and not slippery.

We do, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Ken is right, without shoes, those squares really hurt your feet. We moved it to lockers for non-skid & to keep things from sticking to the gel coat
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Andrew Harvey

Same here. Small rubber backed carpet.
Tiles are really useful insulators for lining lockers lazarette etc
Andrew Harvey

Lance Jones

Thanks for all of the responses and observations. We had used this product before in our C-27s cockpit. Yes, the comments about being uncomfortable to walk on, hard to clean etc. have all been experienced before. As you know, the wooden sole is set into pre-molded depressions. I have trimmed the Dri Dek to fit within that area and, so far, haven't had any slippage of the decking. The ideas about carpeting with rubber backing have been tried before by us. Our issue with that is that you have to pull the rug out when it gets wet in order to let it dry. In that vein, the humidity tends to condensate under the rubber mat leaving a damp area under the mat.

As I stated originally, I think, our primary purpose was to prevent wear and tear on the sole in that area and to allow easy drainage from rain, shower, people coming in wet, etc.. It is easy to lift up and sweep. So far, we've really enjoyed it and it meets our needs. When I get the last of the edges done, I'll post pictures. 
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lazybone

I have a powerboat (boo) that has fatigue mats cut into the recesses of the floor.   Wonderful under foot and and slip resistant enough for a drunk.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677