Macerator Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Kitty's Cat did not come with a macerator installed (Removed by a PO). Now that we are beginning off-shore trips were pump-outs aren't available, I would like to install one. I've read all the articles I found using the search. However, there are few PICTURES of the installation.  :cry4` Does anyone have any good images of their installation? I have an electric head which macerates as it pumps to the holding tank. I think, because of that, I can have sharper turns in the hose routing to the second macerator.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

mark_53

Lance:
Below is a photo of my mercerator installation.  Hope it helps.  It came from PO so I can't help with the install.  Why would you need it if your head already has on?

Lance Jones

Thanks Mark. :thumb: I need the macerator, I think, to be able to pump the effluent out of the through hull.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Allen

I'll add three fun photos.. Good Luck!

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Lance Jones

Thanks Stu and Rick! Where is the Y valve located on your arrangements?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Noah

Lance, the overall theme here is; it's a very tight, knuckle-busting space to work in--and of course, potenitally stinky too!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lance Jones

Really? :shock:
With the 7 years we've been in Kitty's Cat, I come to expect nothing less!  :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Rick Allen

Quote from: Lance Jones on February 12, 2016, 01:58:13 PM
Thanks Stu and Rick! Where is the Y valve located on your arrangements?

No Y valve in my arrangement, the holding tank has 4 dedicated openings.
1. Inlet from head.
2. Outlet to pump-out.
3. Outlet to macerator, then macerator to dedicated thru-hull.
4. Vent line. (Not shown in photos).
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Lance Jones

I thought a Y valve was required.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Noah

The only place/reason for a Y-valve in your waste tank set-up would be after the toilet but before the holding tank. This would divert waste to a thruhull to enable you pump directly from toilet over the side, without going through the holding tank first. Rare event these days.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

Lance, I think it's the other way around. Y valves illegal in some ports.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Lance, my arrangement "looks" a lot like Rick's, but does have what is essentially a Y valve that chooses either overboard or to the tank, with a design like what Noah describes.

YOU have to figure out how you want your system to operate:  EITHER everything goes through the tank and pumps out through the macerator overboard or the deck pumpout OR you choose to go overboard or through the tank.

I think it's silly to put stuff in the tank if you can go overboard, but lots of people do that and it's one that WM recommends in their Advisors: http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Sanitation-System.  They don't even show one with a Y valve between the head and the tank.  Dumb.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

In our boat we had the "Y" as it came out of the holding tank and then either to the pump-out or to the macerator. Of course it was wired fast in the pump-out position with a seal to it to ensure no one tampered with it, since we're on the Great Lakes. I took it out the following year to get a bigger holding tank in. Come to think of it, it is available to anyone that would need it. Its just been sitting in our boat-box doing nothing. Not sure that I would be able to use it for anything, while sailing the Great Lakes anyway. I wouldn't be able to get to it until spring though.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ralph Masters

On Ciao Bella the hose from the toilet comes into a T-fitting and out the other side to the holding tank via a ball valve. The bottom leg of the T fitting has another ball valve and it goes down to an over board through hull. So you can isolate the tank and discharge direct to the ocean.

The change out of the macerator pump was the hardest job I have done on the boat in the 6 years we have owned the boat.  All that work for a stupid pump I never use.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987