Interior overhead hand holds

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

My 1986 MK 1 does not the overhead teak hand holds as shown below.

I want to add at least the longer one aft but am trying to decide whether to mount it on the centerline of port side closer to the Nav station.   I think it would be very useful while heeled over and also another good place to hang things to air dry.

Has anybody installed them?  Thoughts & comments.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Jim Hardesty

Ed,
I have overhead hand holds on my MKll from the factory.  I think that they are located very close to above where the seats start ie where your knees would be sitting down.  To me that seems to be just about right. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

On the MkII, they are located over the Nav Table, not in the center-line as your photo shows.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Ed, I have them and find them absolutely necessary.  When I am down below when hard on the wind I use them to get from one end to the other, and know that I couldn't do it safely without them.  The one in front of the mast is helpful, too, 'cuz there's less to hang onto there unless you use the port side wood trim under the portlights, although they're not helpful on a port tack.  I also use the turnbuckle at the mast partners.  Sorry, I don't know how they are installed.  It is most likely due to the fact that your boat was one of the first to come out of the factory.  When I was on #55, now Dave Commando's Kindred Spirit, formerly owned by Al & Michelle Watson, there were some differences I noted between his boat and mine.  The boat was on the hard during a Connecticut winter and it was before the age of digital cameras (at least for me!:D).  IIRC, Al didn't have them, because he kept hitting his head on ours.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ed : To add those hand hold you don't need to go to the factory.  They are the standard teak "looped" hand holds available from West or Defender.

They are installed with screws from the inside and a plug to hide the screw head.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

My 1990 Mk1 came stock with teak handrail mounted in the same location--main salon, centerline on coachroof.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Gary Brockman

I think they put these handholds on the center line instead of closer to the chart table so taller people would not hit their head on them.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ekutney

I like the idea of having them on the centerline but assumed I would use long screws from outside, same concept as the topside teak handrails.   That would mean removing the companion hatch cover.  I was concerned using screws from inside would not be strong enough.  I have the teak handrails already.  Has anyone actually installed then using srews from inside?  If so what length because I want to get as much bite as possible without drilling through.  Also would it be good to add something like 5200 for additional strength?   My concern is a handhold giving way when it is really needed. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Ed, this might be a good opportunity to call Catalina and ask them.  I'm sure Gerry would be helpful.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ekutney on February 13, 2016, 03:20:36 AM
  Has anyone actually installed then using srews from inside? 

Ed,

This is similar.  I have a wooden channel along centerline (C-30, the channel contains wiring for a the power switch for a TV antenna booster, power/instruments (on a drop down pod), and wiring for couple future LED lights.)   The channel was epoxied and screwed together by PO, so it's real sturdy, going nowhere.  The handrail is affixed to the channel with long screws, so it's also going nowhere.

The channel is affixed with screws up along each side of the channel into the deck (as long a screw as I could use - C34 would differ), and I can have as many fasteners as I want because I'm not limited to spacing of the the hand-holds. 

You could do the same with a flat plank (no channel) if you're concerned about adding additional screws for more grab power on the grab rail.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ekutney

Stu,

Do you have a contact number for Gerry at Catalina?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Ekutney

Stu,

Asked too soon, did a search and found it.  There is a treasure of info on this site.  All I have to do is look, duh!!
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Noah

Ed. I believe both of my factory installed interior hand rails on the inside of coachroof (a long one aft of the mast and single one forward of the mast), are screwed in from the inside. At least the forward one is,  as there are no fasteners on deck. I would think #10 or #12 stainless screws biting 3/4 in. into the deck from below would do it. I would THINK there is plenty enough deck and plywood core to not punch through to the sky! But....? :shock:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

I talked to Gerry Douglas at Catalina, he told me the aft (longer) overhead hand rails are fastened using SS screws from above.  The hatch cover has to be removed which involves removing teak plugs in the cover.  He also reminded me to bed them properly like any other deck fitting.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke