Corrosion on cross wire idler?

Previous topic - Next topic

billandalita

This past summer an email from Catalina Direct warned of possible corrosion to the Cross Wire Idler support plate.  This plate serves as a backing plate for the Edison Pedestal and is also the attach point for steering cable idlers.  The Catalina Direct email warns that this is a mild steel plate and subject to corrosion from aluminum through-bolts.  The email suggests buying an upgrade thicker aluminum plate to eliminate corrosion problems.  The other day I inspected the plate on my boat, (2002 Catalina 34 Mark II) and everything looks pristine.  I wonder if anyone has found corrosion or other problems here?   Has this issue been previously discussed in this Forum?
Bill

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roland Gendreau

A friend of ours with a Mk1 experience failure of that piece - one of the sheaves ripped out of the plate while under sail. They were able to use the emergency tiller to get the boat into port.   We were sailing alongside them when it happened, and rafted up with them for a few days to do the repair. We were able to order the part and have it delivered within a couple of days to the harbormaster.   Periodic inspection is recommended.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

billandalita

We are in salt water, lower Chesapeake Bay.
Bill