LED Interior Lamp

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Has anyone installed the Swiveling LED interior lamp from West Marine? Thinking about changing the V berth lamps.
Thanks, Paulus
Cool Change 1989 #944

dfloeter

I added four of these lights in our salon mounted to cabinets for reading lights and maybe they would work in the front?  The build is solid and they are all stainless except for the chrome plated base which at least is ferrous enough for a magnet to stick. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Reading-Light-RV-Fixture-MR16-LED-Bulb-Base-Satin-Chrome-12v-GW21500-/221838108222?hash=item33a694e63e
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Dave Spencer

I simply changed the bulbs in my OEM fixture to led.  I did this for every interior light in the boat and I'm very pleased with the results.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Joe Holmes

Same here- installed LED bulbs. They work great. Bought them at Hamilton Marine in Maine.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

chuck53

Quote from: Dave Spencer on February 03, 2016, 02:28:57 PM
I simply changed the bulbs in my OEM fixture to led.  I did this for every interior light in the boat and I'm very pleased with the results.

Plus 3

Ron Hill

Paulus : Always include your hull # and production year!!

Do you have any idea how many different interior light fixtures that Catalina installed in over 20 years of production???  I'd guess at about 5 to 7 !!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Hi Ron, Cool Change is a 1989  Hull #944.  I have none of the original lights in the boat.  Replaced main cabin with florescent lights and the aft cabin  with LED bulbs about 10 years ago.  Not very bright.  Hard to read by.
Want to do some upgrading.
Thanks, Paulus
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

I need a lot of light, bad eyes. I opted to replace all my old fixtures with new ones due to their condition/stlye location, and the fact I was rewiring and upgrading. A good fixture designed for LEDs has proper circuitry, heat sink, etc.) at least in my opinion. I shopped around and tried a bunch and returned some West Marine ones and Aqua Signal ones for poor brightness/color, flimsiness.  I use a wide variety of LED fixtures throughout my boat. I have Dr. LED Mars dome lights in V-Berth and head, LunaSea in aft cabin, Hella at chart table, and Alpenglow fixtures in the main salon. I like them all for their various locations, except my wife says the Dr. LED Mars dome light in the head is not bright enough due to its location on the low headliner next to sink...the light is blocked when she stands putting on make-up in the mirror...really?! Tough to find a good location for more light with without having to do a wire raceway/cover. I'll add it to my project list (not high on the list, but lets keep that fact among ourselves).

The Alpenglow are VERY nice (top rated by Practical Sailor) but they are pricey. Two of them on the coachroof light up the entire main salon. All my lights have red and white settings. The Alpenglows also have  high/low.Take a look at their website: https://www.alpenglowlights.com/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

Thanks Noah, Have the same complaint about the light in the head.  I am thinking about putting in a puck type that works off batteries?  Will check out the web site.
Paulus
Cool Change 1989 #944

jstrane

I also installed LED in standard fixtures
hull # 1759
Brenda J
Hull #1759
Lake Lanier, Georgia

Ekutney

I just recently changed all my bulbs to LED, not so much for more light but for power consumption.  All lights now draw approx 20% of what they used to..  I tried a number of different ones, ordered a couple to see what they were like, also tried a couple of different fixtures.  I found the following fixture to be good for the galley and Nav station due to the narrow overhead space:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/swivel-led/

The following worked well for the head in place of the previous fixture.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-dome-light-fixtures-non-waterproof/105-oval-dome-light-led-fixture-with-switch/1490/3465/
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Lance Jones

I used those from West Marine in our V-berth. They work wonderfully. I also installed a 16' LED Warm White flexible light strip that runs down one side and back up the other. Talk about bright! https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-strip-lights-standard-lengths/led-light-strips-led-tape-light-with-18-smdsft-1-chip-smd-led-3528-with-lc2-connector/1464/
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

dfloeter

In addition to adding light to the boat, a Mark 2, I changed out the swivel bulbs for LEDs on the cheap.   Warm white LEDs found on Ebay for a few dollars each.   We have two types, a 4 watt that sits flush with the housing like the original bulbs and I believe a 6 watt bulb that protrudes ½" or so.   So far the bulbs are holding up to use and have greatly reduced electricity usage.   

YMMV
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

KWKloeber

Quote from: dfloeter on February 13, 2016, 08:40:12 AM
I changed out the swivel bulbs for LEDs on the cheap.   Warm white LEDs found on Ebay for a few dollars each.   

YMMV

Just be aware of what can happen.  It gives me angst when I hear owners finding cheapo LEDs that are manufactured who-knows-where, and are not constant-current controlled.  They may be ok for autos and RVs and power boats where the voltage swing is more limited more, than on sailboats with deep cycle banks that get depleted.  See:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdiAUovJ17w

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig