Reefing lines led aft.

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Our 1987 Tall rig Fin Keel with new Sails (12/2015) has triple reef points in the Main and I want to run the reefing lines to the cockpit.

This weekend, we took Eximius out for a day sail and the light winds piped up enough that I wanted to put in the first reef on the main.
That meant that I had to go up on the cabin top which I have no issues, but if the weather were to get ugly enough to warrant additional reefs, I would rather they were managed from the cockpit.

I'll need to have a double block by the mast foot for each reefing point and expand the deck organizers to turn the lines aft and then add a pair of rope clutches for each reef point.

Spent too long looking in the forum for what others have done, but did not find anything specific. I know you guys will find a whole bunch of posts, any hints would be valued.

Thanks.
Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Search on double line reefing.  You also don't need a third reef.  Of course, this is a personal choice, but we have rarely heard of it.  For the one time it would be need, I'd rig it for manual use, rather than led aft.  Yes, yes, I know the drill about "when you need it..." but we simply haven't.  By then you should be running and have the main dropped completely.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6783.msg46861.html#msg46861
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Thanks Stu,
Of course, as I continued to search after the post, I found some great articles!

Agreed, if we ever needed to pull in to a 3rd reef we would be pulling all the canvas down that we could!

So, I'm planning on 4 spinlocks on both port & stbd side, extra fairlead beneath the traveller, double decker line organizers on deck, blocks at the bottom of the mast (not sure how they are going to attach) and longer lines from blocks on the mast end of the boom.

Admiral has approved the budget for this 'Safety' item  :clap

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

Love that "safety item" approval! Been there, done that! :D
I already have triple clutches so I am hoping to repurpose a couple of now wasted clutches (pointed out by Stu last year) can save on my jib halyard and spare jib halyard--furling jib can be cleated at the mast and spare, as well until needed.  Keeping spinn halyard. With those "savings" hopefully I will have enough hardware to run reefs aft? I still need to diagram it all out. I agree about 3rd reef. While empressively salty, at that point you should probably be under bare poles, downwind, towing warps, and/or a sea anchor. Exciting!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Andrew Harvey

Paul,

Our blocks are attached to the mast step base or collar if you prefer

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

britinusa

Thanks guys.

Getting my kit together. Got 2 Quad line clutches, new just $150 each!

I have the Ball Bearing Deck Organizer Large Quad units ready to order from CD

Unable to find a Double Fairlead to go under the traveller, so getting ready to order a pair of triples from CD.

Now I have to figure out how to turn the lines at the cabin top foot of the mast.

The existing mast plate is water tight! it has gobs of silicone (PO). But I can see a spare hole for a mast plate pin on each side of the mast, but am reluctant to break the seal and raise the mast plate in order to put a pin in each side.

So I'm considering riveting a ss strap to the side of the mast close to the cabin top, and then attaching a double block to the strap, one on each side of the mast. That would give me the 4 blocks for Reefs #1 & #2.

Should I go with a strap and double block or with a over top double block attached directly to the mast?

What have you guys done?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Paul,
I would check with Mark or Guido at Garhauer. These guys are experts on Catalina boats and very nice to work with.
Their number is 909-985-9993
If you explain what you're trying to do, I'm sure they can help.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

britinusa

the team nail it again!

Spoke with Mark at Garhauer - recommended that I replace the existing single sheaves at the mast plate with doubles!

Thanks!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Craig Illman

You can get the under traveler fairleads from Garhauer too, they're just not in their online catalog.

Craig

britinusa

Quote from: Craig Illman on February 17, 2016, 03:05:43 PM
You can get the under traveler fairleads from Garhauer too, they're just not in their online catalog.

Craig

Dang, already received the shipping notice from CD! :(

Oh, well, I'll have spare fairleads for another 2 lines, I may run the Lazyjacks/Cradle cover support lines back to cleats.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water