Newbie Question - What Year Should I Buy or Avoid?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gee Cee

Hello.  I am a newbie and just about to buy my first boat.  I have done my research, and for a whole bunch of reasons, I know that I want a C34.  But my question is what year?  I will be able to do some of the maintenance myself, I'm not afraid to get dirty or learn, but I also know I am a newbie and I don't know what I don't know.  I was looking at buying something in the late 80s to mid 90s (mostly for price reasons too.)  Is it realistic for me to assume I could buy a boat like this and sail it for the next 5-10 years at this age point?  That's my plan so please feel free to give me any useful advice as I am listening.  Advice on what to stay away from is also much appreciated.  Thanks for your time. 

Ken Juul

Take your time and start looking at the different models.  late 80's had closed transoms called the MkI.  90/91 the walk thru transoms became standard called the MK1.5.  96 the wide stern MK2 started, not too many 95 boats, 92-94 are still Mk1.5 but are morphing toward the MK2.  Figure out what you want and what you don't want.  Add ons are more expensive than you may think.  If you wallet can afford it, a boat with some upgrades may be a better value than a fixer upper.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

I agree with Ken, any upgrades you do on an older boat, that are standard on a newer boat, won't be reflected in a resale price, it will only sell faster. Buy something as new as you can afford (albeit in good condition). The step through sterns are really nice, but there's not a lot of inventory compared to the hulls from the late eighties.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Welcome,

Here is the discussion of the different models:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=History

Ken & Craig are right about add-ons and equipment.

One extremely important issue is, like real estate's location, CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION.

We searched for our boat for an entire year.  We saw many examples of horrible neglect, not all of them with associated lower costs!  Truly disappointing what idiots can do to great boats.

OTOH, even after finding one that looked great but failed survey, we found our "dream boat" in 1998, a then 12 year old boat.  We actually compared the new Mark IIs and this 1986 boat before we bought, but couldn't justify twice the price for the same boat.  Our boat was in excellent, actually pristine condition, with a thoughtful previous owner.  He'd done some nice things like the mainsail Batt Car system, Garhauer rigid vang and updated wiring harness/voltmeter.   But the electrical system was basic so we upgraded that.

It didn't have "heavy duty" instruments, just the basic knot, depth, wind.  She still doesn't.  I eschew the fancy bells & whistles and Navpods that so many other skippers seem to like, 'cuz I like to see forward from behind the wheel. :D :D :D  Just kiddin'  :thumb:  We still use our Garmin GPSMap 76Cx handheld and get around just fine.  If I lived elsewhere, with fog for example, I'd get radar and AIS, but I don't, so I don't have to.  You could do fine with a boat without these things, and most assuredly will for your budget, so do some research on what you need and want and recognize that wants and needs are two very different things.

When you're looking for boats, here's a handy thread http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/boat-inspection-trip-tips.102541/

For the C34 of your dreams, you MUST read the Critical Upgrades topic.  I highly recommend printing it out and rereading it often.

This weblog is a good one from one of our skippers who eventually became one of our Technical Editors for some time:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,663.msg2831.html#msg2831 and http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1237.msg6483.html#msg6483  While these were written over 10 years ago, the issues discussed are still valid, you should know about them when looking, since many of them are boat-specific, rather than system issues.

Good luck, happy hunting, and let us know if there's anything more we can do to help.

PS  Get a survey.

PPS  Oh, my boat's goin' on 30 years old.  She'll survive me!  :D  5-10 years?  Of course, with proper maintenance these boats will last forever.  With neglect comes demise.  Early.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gee Cee

Wow.  Thanks for all of the great replies.  I have already taken some courses in boat maintenance and engine maintenance (diesel) so far and am trying to make sure I educate myself as much as possible.  I also have a nice circle of friends that I have met that are teaching me lots, as well.  I very much appreciate the links provided as this is exactly what I need.  I am also following this surveyor's site and have myself ready to "practice" checking a couple of my friend's boats in preparation as soon as the weather cooperates.  http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/  I also have my eye on a boat.  She's an '86 C34.  However, everything is on hold for a bit as I am in Canada and it's never a good idea to get a "frozen survey".  If not her, then another.  So a quick trip to Florida at the end of Feb to sail on a friend's boat, more research and then spring, here I come.  I am buying a boat.  Thanks very much for the support and information.

Ekutney

I just recently bought a 1986 C34 and agree with the comments made by Ken, Craig & Stu.  I looked at a number of boats & there was quite a difference in condition that did not track with age of the boat.  How the boat was cared for varied a great deal & newer did not mean better.  Even though the boat I bought is 30 years old it was well cared for but had all the critical upgrades done, I agree to print them out & review them before going to see a boat.   The knowledge base on this site & from the members that contribute is impressive, every question I have had has been previously asked & answered. 

This link has been very useful for me, a NEW owner:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Maintenence_tips_from_a_new_owner

Good luck & happy hunting.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Roc

Here's a great site from a surveyor.  Lots of good information and things to learn....

www.yachtsurvey.com

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

MarkT

My $0.02

Condition is the number one factor.
My list of things to consider in about the order of importance for my needs.

- How well cared for is the engine? The engine is IMHO the single most important thing. A well cared for engine in good condition. It can be a very expensive repair.
- What is the condition of the rigging? Upgrades to vang and mainsheet are really nice to have. The standing rigging has to be 100% and the survey you get should pay some attention to this.
- Sails. It's a sail boat and the condition and age of the sails will play a big part in how well she sails and how easy she is to handle. A blown out old head sail will make her sail badly and be very hard to control in the gusts.
- Look at the bottom and figure that a good clean bottom is very important. If the bottom has been well cared for then that is a good sign.
- Canvas. If you are anywhere in the south you need sun protection, A dodger was a must have for us as we like to sail in the early spring and late fall. Worn out canvas can easily be copied. No canvas means a very expensive dodger and bimini.
- Condition of the boat overall. Wax on the topsides and clean.
- Condition of each of the systems. Head, Fresh water, bilge, refrigeration, windlass (if your so lucky) etc

Now the addons:
A dingy and motor are expensive and if you can get one with the boat (and you need one) then consider that in the equation.
Creature comforts like cockpit cushions, improvements to the sleeping comforts.

Last on my list are enhancements to instruments and the like.
This stuff gets old fast is expensive and doesn't make the boat sail faster. It can add to the safety and pleasure of a journey but for us a handheld chart plotter, a good VHF and a depth sounder that works are about all the instruments that we need. Sailing in the fog in New England I would want/need to have radar but we are on the Chesapeake.

Best of luck in your search

Mark Tamblyn