Won Mantus Anchor (well sort of)

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all,
Not trying to open up a anchor discussion...  but I won a gift certificate from Mantus, but just short of enough to buy a 35b anchor. I would need to kick in $130 plus shipping to get an anchor worth $330.  I currently have a 35lb Delta but not really in the market for a new anchor. However, the Mantus is a new generation of anchor and the Delta is old technology.  I plan to look at PS to see what results they got on their anchor tests.  But just wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with the Mantus and is it worth it.  I could use the certificate to buy a few smaller items that add up to $200 instead of buying one large item.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

Roc,
The real question is how has your Delta worked for you so far?  If it's always worked well for you where you anchor then I see no reason to change...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Ted's advice is wise, however, if you compare the surface areas of the two anchors, you'll soon see that the newer anchor is simply BIGGER.

The 101 topics has a good discussion of the new gen anchors, but was written by Maine Sail before the manus was invented and built.  The concepts are the same.  Old anchors, Delta middle of the idea of larger surface areas, then the new gen anchors (Rocna, Manson Supreme and now Mantus).

If it doesn't pull you off the bow when it sets.... :cry4` :cry4` :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Stu,
For what it's worth, if you go to the Mantus website, all the other "Next Generation" anchors (Rocna, Manson, Surpreme etc, etc) don't set well.

http://mantusanchors.com/test-video/

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc, it's just marketing hype.  I've had our Rocna for a long time now, never lets me down. 
Always rips me off the bow when it sets.  I'm sure the Mantus will do the same for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Plus....it's always good to have more than one anchor and if you already have two then the more the merrier (especially at Christmas time)  :santa
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

pablosgirl

Hi Roc,

We purchased a Mantus 45# to replace our aging danforth anchor.  Our other anchor is a 35# Delta.  The main reason we bought the Mantus was its quick set in hard bottoms.  We have a lot of hard mud/clay and packed shell bottom areas in Galveston Bay and the Delta would not easily penetrate and set properly.  Had a pull out in the wee hours one night when a cold front came through and the boat drug about 200 yards before resetting in a soft mud spot.  The danforth seemed to penetrate the hard bottom better but was starting to rust pretty badly and we took the opportunity to buy the Mantus.

I really love this anchor!  It sets quick, even in the hard mud and the extra size lets me sleep well at night.  The delta sets well in the sand and soft mud areas of the bay so I am not getting rid of it any time soon.  Check out some of their U-tube videos on the hard bottom performance.

Paul & Cyndi
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

kwaltersmi

We use a 35lbs Delta and are very happy with it.  However, if I won the $200 contest from Mantus, I'd opt for the Mantus 35 anchor, just because it's "next gen".  However, I'm not compelled to switch at full retail price.

If you don't end up using the $200 for the primary anchor, I can vouch for a couple of other Mantus products. I've got the Mantus dingy anchor and love it. It's essentially a mini-Mantus and works great at the beach for our 10' travel RIB and 12' AB console RIB. I also used it on a 14' jet boat we use to own.  Great little anchor!

I also just got the Mantus anchor swivel to replace my standard anchor shackle on the Delta 35. I haven't used it yet, but it does look like a high quality product and is claimed to be stronger than my chain.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree