Finding and changing anode on HX?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I don't think a zinc is needed if running in fresh water.  Therefore a petcock is used to drain the HX for winter storage.  In salt or brackish water the petcock should be replaced with a zinc.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Randy : I believe that the diagram shows an anode or a petcock.

In fresh water you should use a magnesium anode vrs. a zinc anode for salt water.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on December 27, 2015, 08:20:45 AM
Ok everyone, two more trips to the boat to search for the zinc anode without success.  I have a new theory and would appreciate feedback.  The M35B parts manual shows both a zinc anode and petcock in the same location on the HX.  My theory is that there is one or the other, but not both.  Does anyone know if there is either a petcock or a zinc anode?  Anyone have both?  Should I remove the petcock and put an anode in its place? 

It's 78 degrees today and I'm going for a sail.  It's a great day down south.

Randy, what do you have/felt down there?  A 'hub'?  Petcock/  You've told us what you couldn't find -- but what did you find?
It's always possible a PO replaced the Hx and the new one doesn't have a hub for the zinc/magnesium.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Can you just stick your smartphone or dumbphone under there a snap photos of all angles of your HX, and post them? It would probably go along way to help solve this problem.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DarthOccam

Quote from: Rortega46 on December 27, 2015, 08:20:45 AM
The M35B parts manual shows both a zinc anode and petcock in the same My theory is that there is one or the other, but not both.  Does anyone know if there is either a petcock or a zinc anode?

There are both. The petcock is used to drain the coolant while the zinc is used to drain the raw water (and prevent corrosion). 

Regards.
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

KWKloeber

Hey I'm not saying it doesn't exist somewhere in the galaxy, but I've never seen both a petcock and a anode on a

OEM westerbeke Hx.  It usually  to drain it by removing the end plate or pulling the hose off the (hopefully one has or has decided to upgrade to) the Oberdorfer.  :-)
I prefer the the end plate so I can check for weeds/grass in the tube end  chamber.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 31, 2015, 10:00:26 AM
Hey I'm not saying it doesn't exist somewhere in the galaxy, but I've never seen both a petcock and a anode on an OEM Westerbeke Hx.

MEA CULPA!   I found a pic of a Bud's M-25xpb on a C-30, and she has both the anode and petcock.  Randy you can see their location opposite the coolant port on the Hx.  I can't swear 100% that this is an OEM Hx but it most likely is...

Ken

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677