Finding and changing anode on HX?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

Please help me find and change the sacraficial zinc anode on the heat exchanger.  From prior posts on this site, I understand it's difficult to get to but I can't even find it.  I've searched from every access point and felt around the underside of the HX and still can't find it. If and when I find it how do I change it?  Type of tool, size, steps, tips and best access point?  I know the 2nd time changing wil be easier than finding it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Stu Jackson

Randy, this link has a lot of HX pictures:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6920.msg46266.html#msg46266

It's usually on the back (aft) end, facing down from the horizontal.  If it's a 3 inch HX, the head of the nut takes an 11/16" wrench or socket.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tonywright

You will find it easier to access the heat exchanger if you first remove the box around the back of the engine in the aft cabin (there are tips elsewhere in how to do this: involves removal of six screws). The anode is on the lower part of the HX, but faces slightly forward as I recall.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Randy : Just feel along the bottom the HX. 

It is usually near the starboard end of the 3" HX on a M35BC engine!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Mine's on the port side.

Golly, folks, open up the aft cabin hole and simply look.  If you don't wanna get down there, then try a mirror from the top.  I've been servicing our HXs for 17 years without taking the "furniture" out of the aft cabin, but that's a good idea, too.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

tonywright

Stu

Maybe the larger engine and slightly larger HX fill up the available space a little more on the Mark II? Just a possibility: I have not seen a MK I to compare.  There is certainly very little space to work on mine without removing the furniture. But then I do like to see what I am doing!

Tony
Tony Wright

Stu Jackson

Tony, I was down in the back of a friend's Mark II and space below the aft cabin on his boat is palatial compared to my Mark I.   :D :D :D  It's a ballroom down there.   :clap :clap :clap

tonywright

Tony Wright

Stu Jackson

Tony, what I found on his boat, as on yours, is that the wider cockpit makes the space down below the aft cabin really different.  That and the fact that the muffler is moved aft on the Mark IIs whereas it is under the head sink on the Mark Is.  Lotsa little differences all add up.

Rortega46

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  I'll take another look when I get to the boat this weekend. It will be something to do when it's too cold to go for a sail.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Rortega46

Ok everyone, two more trips to the boat to search for the zinc anode without success.  I have a new theory and would appreciate feedback.  The M35B parts manual shows both a zinc anode and petcock in the same location on the HX.  My theory is that there is one or the other, but not both.  Does anyone know if there is either a petcock or a zinc anode?  Anyone have both?  Should I remove the petcock and put an anode in its place? 

It's 78 degrees today and I'm going for a sail.  It's a great day down south.

Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jon W

A dock neighbor of mine is a new owner of a Tartan 3700. He was going to replace his HX zinc. He couldn't find one either. His mechanic told him he has a SST HX so doesn't need a zinc in the system. Any chance you have a SST HX?

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on December 27, 2015, 08:20:45 AM
Ok everyone, two more trips to the boat to search for the zinc anode without success.  I have a new theory and would appreciate feedback.  The M35B parts manual shows both a zinc anode and petcock in the same location on the HX.  My theory is that there is one or the other, but not both.  Does anyone know if there is either a petcock or a zinc anode?  Anyone have both?  Should I remove the petcock and put an anode in its place? 

It's 78 degrees today and I'm going for a sail.  It's a great day down south.

Pics!!

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=3%22_heat_exchanger_mounts

In the first picture the zinc screws into the fitting in the lower left of the HX
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rortega46

Ken:  I'll take another look when I get a chance this weekend.  Attached is the diagram from the M35B parts list.  Are #s 17 & 18 both there or is it one or the other? Westerbeke is closed this week and I hope to call them next week to get their thoughts.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA