Galley Sink Drains

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Jon. W posted a great ToDo list on another thread.

We purchased Eximius (then called Chris Deke) in May of this year 2015 and have been working on improvements, your list is really on the mark.

Jon noted in Phase 2:
Quote7. DONE. Replaced galley sink drain fittings and check valves with angled exit port style from Defender.

Can you elaborate on that Jon? I have to rework the galley sink plumbing as I'm installing a water filter and right now the galley sinks drain really slow (I do have a new Marleon Shut off valve attached to the thru-hull).

Quote8. DONE. Added strainer to shower sump drain, new Jabsco check valve, and attached head water sanitizer to bulkhead.

Ditto on #8

FYI, our twin Propane tanks are mounted on the Stbd stern rail, one tube is the live tank the other is a spare. We don't have a grill yet, so no need to carry the lil green cans, but I would consider adding a third tube to carry them if needed.

I installed a NEMA 2000 network, so now we have Garmin Radar, GPS, and the wireless Wind transducer, left to install is the water speed/depth/temp transducer which will be mounted in the V-berth when we next pull the boat.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Jon W

Hi Paul,
For #7 - I did not like the way the galley sink drains flowed. I replaced with 2x Ambassador/ShurFlo 95 elbow sink drain from Defender PN 502848, and a 1" Marelon Y Connector, HYC-16 from a local marine store. Be aware the Ambassador drain elbow requires enlarging the sink drain hole diameter slightly for them to fit into our sinks. Easily done with a dremel and SST grinding tool. The check valves were replaced with 2x ShurFlo In-Line Check Valve 1/2" hose from WM.

For #8 - I added the strainer as recommended on this forum. I needed to make a long shower drain hose run so when I replaced the old check valve I also relocated it. Head sanitizer may not be the right name. It's a container to put bleach tablets with a screw on cap. It's the white plastic "T" shaped part in the photo. You can also see part of the new strainer on the right side of this same photo.

I've attached before after photo's of the galley sink drain, and an after photo of the shower/head sanitizer. I forgot to take before photo's.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Nice job, Jon.

Here's a loong writeup on the subject:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7597.0.html

IIRC, I also did a Tech Notes on it.  I'll go look for the link.

Here it is (February 2014):  http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/html/2014/Galley%20sink%20drain%20replacement.htm
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Thanks, I think I left a couple of items out of the list so may revise it, but the vast majority are there.

Looks like we all think alike. I don't have nearly the room under my sink you have. Did you get rid of the drawer?

Also what is IIRC?

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Jon,

My PO installed a box for a microwave under the galley sink.  He left the drawer, I put it in under the V berth.

IIRC = if I recall correctly. 

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

ITWMB = if that/this was my boat  (I just make 'em up as I go along!!! :D :D :D)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jonathanc34

Bumping this old thread because I found it when doing galley drain searches, seemed like as good a place as any for another option.
I was inspired by this post as well but could never quite figure out how he did the connection at the seacock.

2x Moen 2" Drain (shallowest I could find)
1x Lasko double sink drain kit
2x Plumb Pak trap kit
1x Lasco branch tailpiece (easy connection for sink drain hose)
2x Plumb Pak elbow
1x 1½" Marvel connector (convert branch tailpiece to 1½" PVC)
1x 1½" to 1¼" PVC insert reducer (convert 1½" PVC to 1¼" FPT)
1x 1¼" MPT to 1" barb (convert FTP to 1" drain hose)

Album w Descriptions

Original Drain ~2002 install. The reducers ensured that there was always water sitting in the drain.
Under the sink, the hoses came together via two separate Ts and six hose fittings below the waterline.
The drains themselves were plastic and broke apart as I attempted to remove them.
New drains are stainless and a significant aesthetic and functional improvement.

I wanted shallow drains and direct threaded connections.
By combining the double sink drain kit with a pair of trap kits, I was able to thread directly onto the sink drains w 1.5" pipe.
The branch tailpiece allows easy connection of the fridge drain hose.

The only odd part is converting the 1.5" slip tailpiece to 1" ID Hose.
The seacock had a 1" ID fitting already, and I wanted to keep that for simplicity but wanted to limit connections below the waterling.
This is my frankenpiece (daughter added the stars): Marvel Connector, PVC 1.5" Slip to 1.25" FPT, 1.25" MPT to 1" ID Hose Barb:

It doesn't look like much outside, but inside it provides a very graceful reduction to 1" hose.

Planning to plumb w white 1" drain hose, and while the real moment of truth is many months away, this is sure to be a huge improvement.
'Owenoke' 1988 C34 Hull 548 Tall/Wing M-25XP
Worton Creek Marina, MD

She'll make .5 past 6 knots. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts. (I've added some special modifications myself.)

Ron Hill

Paul 7 Guys : we started printing improvements to the C34 galley sink drains in the early1990s.  The key was to get rid of the factory Micky Mouse sink attachment and then go to PVC piping up to a 1 inch hose that attaches to the thru hull.  This change let the water really drain out of both sinks!!

Look into Mainsheet tech notes for write ups and pictures.  There was even "a C34" that even attached the sink drain to a foot pump and "pumped" out the water !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

jonathanc34 the 1" hose after the Y fitting in my photo above connects to a 1" hose barb on a 3/4" elbow connected to the 3/4" seacock. The Y fitting is simple and works great. Both sinks drain quickly, no leaks, and no clogging problems since installing in 2015.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

Im getting ready to do this same job using a wye and the fancy european drains others have used.  The plan is to aim the drain oulets forward and the gently curve to the wye at the forward end of the cabinet (directions are forward and aft rather than front and back).  This will be mounted at an approximate down hill slope and the exit will smoothly fall to the thru-hull.  The idea of the forward direction is to allow water to drain (as best as possible) on either tack.  Prob not necessary, but thats the design at present.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Patches

The OEM placement of the water heater, changed in the Mark 2, is the cause of a lot of imperfect details on our Mark 1s. Two major casualties are access to plumbing/systems, and space under the sink for the stuff you usually need (dish soap, gloves, cleaning supplies...)  Two of the best improvements I made last year were to (1) replace the water heater and move it to the locker between the head and chart table and (2) put in a new, single bowl, galley sink with standard household faucet and drain assembly.

It meant removing the teak trim, tearing out the old counter, new formica, and replacing it with a new 3/4" plywood base and then matching the cutout for the ice box lid.  Matching the ice box lid was the part I had a cabinet maker help me with, as I did not trust my skills to do that.

The benefits were well worth it in my opinion.  Having the new water heater (Quick, 4 gallon cylindrical model) live in the cabinet makes plumbing super easy, including the eventual changing of the anode.  I had to route the engine cooling hoses under the floor and under the chart table, but I got to replace the 3/8' stepped to 5/8" OEM setup (which was used just to accommodate the 5/8" outlets on the OEM Seaward water heater) with a 3/8" loop all the way to the engine and back.

The other huge improvement was having a sink that could hold not only dinner plates, but also pots and pans. And the regular size drain actually drains the sink.

I also removed the drawer under the sink and replaced it with 15.75" X 15.75" cabinet doors for access.  Having the room under the sink allowed me to remove the freshwater tank gate valves from way under the corner of the galley (next to the bottom of the ice box), and put in a new manifold and a 5 micron freshwater filter mounted to the back wall under the sink.  The taste of the ship's water has improved noticeably.

Or I could have just bought a Mark II to begin with, but you don't tend to notice all these things when you think you've finally found the right boat for most of your purposes.  Which is still a great boat.

Noah

Patches- when you get a chance can you please post (or direct us to) some pics of your galley remodel?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I made the locker between the head and Navigation Table a pantry and storage. On the upper right there's a divider to keep stuff from banging into the chartplotter.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Noah : Look in the Mainsheet tech notes for Hank Recla's "Cabinet Doors under the galley sink" article or my article on a large drawer under the sink that replaced the small drawer.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Thx, Ron but I was interested to see Patches countertop/sink project.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

I would also like to see the relocated hot water tank.  Is that indeed where it ended up in the mk2?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte