How to use bow water tank?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

When spending a weekend at anchor or in a marina it would be nice to fill the bow water tank so there is extra shower water.  Does anyone know how to use the bow water tank versus the main/stern tank?  If filled I want to use the bow tank water first to avoid "bow down" trim when under way.  Is there a valve somewhere to open one or the other water tank?  FYI, I have a 2001 mkII
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

tonywright

Under the galley sink, on the floor next to the water pump. Two valves, one labelled aft tank, one labelled forward tank.

Close by you will find a similar set of valves to alternately drain the head shower or the ice box.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

sailaway

I leave the valves open all the time an they will cross flow. I don't seem to have any bow down problem. My shower drain is under the head sink. What hull number, mine is 95 an has  a bow water tank Charlie

Jim Hardesty

On my 2001MKll it's exactly as Tony described.  I don't use my forward tank think the boat is a little bow heavy with it filled.  Would if I needed the extra water.

If you haven't used your tank for a couple of months sanitize it per Peggy Hall's recommendation.  ie  drain the tank...add 1 quart bleach per 50 gal (forward tank is 28 gal) ......fill tank with water..let flow through each faucet.....let stand 3 to 24 hours max.....drain....fill with fresh water....flush through each faucet.

Highly recommend the book.  If you buy one be cautious loaning it out. 

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Boat-Odors-Peggie-Hall/dp/1892399156

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Rortega : Always include your hull # and production year when you make a post.  Because :

Only the early 1986 and the (all MkIIs) 1995 and after all have bow water tanks.  Those hulls in-between have aft and starboard water tanks!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Ron is right.  Again.  The easy way to add your boat information is to put it into your signature.  From the forum home page click profile.  Then add what you like.  Took me a bit of time looking at every thing to discover this.  FWIW it's worth the time to look at everything included.  A lot of information on the site.
Regards,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rortega46

Jim

Thanks for the reply and how to sanitize the water tank.  Also added a signature for future posts. 
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA