Cleaning the drain on the galley sink

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

Recently the drains were not working so well, and I was thinking of doing the project to replace the standard draining arrangement. Then I found this $4 gadget in Home Depot. It is just the right size to fit down our drains in the galley. After a couple of passes with this, the drains are back to working 100%. Thought I would share...
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

KWKloeber

Quote from: tonywright on November 19, 2015, 03:27:29 PM
Recently the drains were not working so well, and I was thinking of doing the project to replace the standard draining arrangement. Then I found this $4 gadget in Home Depot. It is just the right size to fit down our drains in the galley. After a couple of passes with this, the drains are back to working 100%. Thought I would share...

Is this similar to HF? http://www.harborfreight.com/ez-zip-drain-cleaner.html

I wonder if this would fit the drain for a power flush? http://www.harborfreight.com/small-drain-cleaning-bladder-99943.html

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

tonywright

Yes Ken, exact same thing. Doesn't surprise me that we pay twice as much in Canada! The power flush could be interesting as well, although I might expect a fountain from the twin sink, since they don't have the drainage of a residential sink.
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

KWKloeber

Quote from: tonywright on November 19, 2015, 03:45:04 PM
Yes Ken, exact same thing. Doesn't surprise me that we pay twice as much in Canada! The power flush could be interesting as well, although I might expect a fountain from the twin sink, since they don't have the drainage of a residential sink.

A hose Y and one in each side.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : If you mix a little bleach in with water, close the galley sink thru hull, pour it in the sink so it fills the drain lines,  let it set a few hours or over night, it will clean out any accumulation in the lines.

I did that a couple of times a season and never had a problem.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788