Wet Deck 2 - the jib track

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Amazon had #4 sockets, I think they were 1/2" drive.  If you do that go for the good name Bosch or SK, not habor freight - tend to be more questionable tip strength.  I hadn't looked for Craftsman.

Some accessories sears carries now are the same as HF - I noticed that looking in the store and noticed air line fittings, regulaties, gauges.  Not exactly sure what that's saying about HF quality or Sears quality?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: tonywright on November 23, 2015, 08:55:39 AM
Check Lee Valley Tools. They sell a 3/8 socket adapter for your old fashioned brace. If you can find a #4 Phillips to fit the socket wrench, that might be your low-risk approach. Or pick up their 3-jaw brace.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32300&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1

Tony

Regardless of whether this works for my track issue, the brace driver  - 3/8" socket is a must have item.  I will get it this afternoon.  Thanks,  Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

britinusa

Years ago, in the British Navy, we had an issue where the screw heads were a new Tri corner format (not flat head, not philips, but Trihead. Total PITB)

The solution to remove them was a special tool. It was basically a lever with a wrench driven Trihead bit in one end and an adjustable swivel joint on the lever. With one screw out, the tool was screwed down to the empty hole and the lever end pulled up to apply downward pressure on the screw driver bit.

(the problem was that the screws were manufactured with a slope on the slot walls which was intended to prevent over tightening of the screw, but the slope of the slot was in the wrong direction: easy to tighten, PITB to remove.)

Nearest thing I could find on the net:
From Craftsman

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

britinusa

Bob, while working on the smart plug install yesterday, I noticed that the gib track is bolted through on Eximius!
I was inside the port cockpit locker and the nuts beneath the gib track are clearly visible. I could also see some underdside of the deck in side the top shelf above the nav table (plastic sliding doors).

As Espirt Du Vent is the same year, I'm wondering if yours is the same and not an embedded ally strip!

Paul

BTW, I found a milk crate of stuff in the forward outboard corner of the cockpit locker that I had not realized was there! Contents included a webbing bosuns chair!

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: britinusa on November 28, 2015, 03:39:40 AM
Bob, while working on the smart plug install yesterday, I noticed that the jib track is bolted through on Eximius!
I was inside the port cockpit locker and the nuts beneath the jib track are clearly visible. I could also see some underside of the deck in side the top shelf above the nav table (plastic sliding doors).

As Espirt Du Vent is the same year, I'm wondering if yours is the same and not an embedded ally strip!

Thanks Paul.  I will check it out.  I am taking a bit of a pause to see if, somehow, the leak is coming from the stanchion that has now been repaired.  Franco thinks this may be the case.  I plan this week to pour buckets of water on the jib track area and see what happens.  I have ordered an adapter for my brace such that I can use it with 3/8" sockets.  I will keep you, and the other readers of this forum, posted.  Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Everyone,

Well, the problem was not with the jib track.  It turned out that the stanchion leak gave a channel for the water to run aft into the head.  Since we sealed the stanchion the boat seems tight.  We ran water into the jib track with a hose for 15 minutes and no water in the head, or under the stanchion for that matter.  Now, we are still going to have to rebuild the wood core, but the immediate issue has been handled.  Any ideas about a fill material other than wood?

Thanks for the help,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

KWKloeber

Marine ply, pvc core, balsa core.

Why would you not want to use marine ply core?