Filling and Sealing Curtain Rail Track Holes

Previous topic - Next topic

DMorri3035

I have a 1990 C34 and removing the old curtain tracks and replacing them with shades.  What do I fill the holes with to make it match the rest of the cabin?

Roc

I can think of two ways to approach this. You can fill the holes with gelcoat.  Try to get the closest match.  The other is to use the existing holes and putting an "adapter" to mount the shades.  Use the holes to install a teak strip.  Then on the teak strip, mount the shades on that.  You use (or hide) the holes and at the same time mount the shades in a "decorative" way.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Gary

To repair the holes use some Devcon 5 Min Epoxy. It is a completely clear 2 part epoxy. Use a pocket knife to fill the hole with mixed epoxy and then just before setting use the sharp knife to scrape a little of the gel coat around the hole into the wet epoxy. Voila, perfect color match and the small scratching of the gel coat does not show either.

You may never be able to find the holes again !!

Gary

Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Jim Hardesty

Or, you could just put screws back in the holes.  Possibly flat head or oval with trim washers.  That's what I'd try first.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: DMorri3035 on November 17, 2015, 04:10:10 AM
I have a 1990 C34 and removing the old curtain tracks and replacing them with shades.  What do I fill the holes with to make it match the rest of the cabin?

You can tint MarineTex or gel paste very close to the liner color. I did this for my curtain holes. I tinted up a small container and keep it for small fixes.
Or just fill below the surface untinted, and Lowes or HD had a Valspar spray paint that is so close to the liner color you can never tell the difference.  I spray some in a container, pick up w/ artist's brush (or honestly sometimes with a just cotton swab) and dab onto whatever I am covering.  I could be almond or bone or  ? ...... sorry, don't have precise info readily at hand.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DMorri3035

Ron Hill

Dmori: It's difficult to match the "Camel" color gelcoat of the interior. 
I'd do as Jim suggests.  Take #4 short oval head screws and use #4 finishing washers to fill the holes.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788