roller furling

Previous topic - Next topic

sailaway

Looking to replace my old roller furling with a new one. I am not sure what to buy was looking for some input from all of you. Was thinking about a continuous line who makes a good one. Charlie

Stu Jackson

Charlie,

The continuous loop design had a lot of faults/built in deficiencies/operational issues that do not exist for single line furlers.  More details, if you are interested, would be easily provided.

Harken, ProFurl, CY installs Shaefer now, all good, solid units.  Each of them have their proclivities, and users have all BTDT and know how to keep 'em working and operating well.  Easy to find the details.

Happy hunting, you won't be sorry.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

My 2000 model year came OEM with a Schaefer.  2100 model is what I have.  Has been working fine for 15 years.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

They have worked the bugs out of roller furling.  Like Stu said a lot of good solid units are made.  My 2001 MKll also came with a Shaefer, works problem free.  On my previous boat, at the recommendation of the sailmaker, I installed a Furlex.  I believe the Furlex reefed better.  It was made to roll the foil before the tack to flatten the sail.  It also worked problem free.
When I was looking to install roller furling on my previous boat, some units included the forestay some did not.  The Furlex did and was simple to install.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA