New Owner of C34 #886

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Jon W. thank you very much for sharing that list. I've downloaded it and will use it to help build my own check list of tasks.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ben H.

Progress Notes

Engine Started - CHECK

Next Steps

Engine Maintenance - Checking injectors, change oil (motor/tran) and filters, belt, zincs, other fluids, .... May wait til spring for this
Electrical System "Rebuild" - Previous owner made changes and i'm not sure what is what. Want to learn/fix/improve the system.
Rudder/Prop/Shaft - Boat needs all 3 and accessories. What are your thoughts? Should I make a thread for this?
Sails - Boat has old unknown age sails. Thinking of ordering sails now to get discount for spring delivery. Thoughts? New thread?

Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on November 21, 2015, 05:02:59 PM

Attached is my running list of what's been done, and what I'm planning/thinking of doing.
Jon W.

Jon,

Amazing list and amazing progress!   :clap :clap :clap

I noticed one in particular.....

21.   DONE. Replace the burnt connector on the spare shore power cord. Removed from boat.

Your burnt connector is yet another example of the poor twist-lock system!!  Everyone should consider (and do) upgrade to the SmartPlug system and take advantage of the Catalina Association group deal.

Stu- I wonder if this should be added to the "CU"s?  I could write up a segment and reference RC's photos and contributions.(but then again so could a monkey given enough time)  :rolling

aside -  :donno:  are all the forum "CU"s reflected on the TechWiki "CU" section?   

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Are the Smart Plugs sold through you for the discount?
Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon,

Yes, when I approached SP in 2013 about a group deal, the VP said he wouldn't sell direct - they had to set it up thru a dealer, so they made me one rather than members dealing  with another 3rd party.  I just place the order and its shipped direct from the distributor.

kk 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 02, 2015, 04:57:06 PM
1.   Stu- I wonder if this should be added to the "CU"s?  I could write up a segment and reference RC's photos and contributions.(but then again so could a monkey given enough time)  :rolling

2.   aside -  :donno:  are all the forum "CU"s reflected on the TechWiki "CU" section?   

1.  It might just be easier to provide a link to Maine Sail's sbo writeup.

2.  Yes, there is a reference to the CUs right at the top of the wiki linking back to it, no need to duplicate the text, that's what links are for.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on December 02, 2015, 06:27:07 PM

1.  It might just be easier to provide a link to Maine Sail's sbo writeup.

Stu,

It would -- but (I'm tip-toeing a narrow line here) not "filtering" RC's write up, C-34 owners would be directed toward a significantly higher priced purchase as SBO, without the Assn deal.

I guess my primary question was whether the known problems with the twist locks, elevates this to be a "CU" per se?

k

britinusa

FYI, I'm very pleased with the Smart Plug that I installed last week.

The connection is obviously far better than the old twist lock system.

Ken was really helpful, and I took advantage of the assn discount that he offers.

I have already ordered an end for the genny power cord as the old one still has the twist lock on it.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

kh3412

So who do you contact to order and what is the price for the smartplug kit.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on December 03, 2015, 05:45:04 PM
FYI, I'm very pleased with the Smart Plug that I installed last week.

The connection is obviously far better than the old twist lock system.

Ken was really helpful, and I took advantage of the assn discount that he offers.

I have already ordered an end for the genny power cord as the old one still has the twist lock on it.

Paul

Paul.....
Locktite?

britinusa

Got a response from the Loctite company but it just pointed me to their spec sheets.

Did not apply loctite.

But do want to go ahead and put the smart plug end on our Generator to boat power plug.

:thumb:

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water