loose foot or not?

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

We had a loft rep come to the boat today to measure up for new sails for Eximius.

He said that most sailors are moving towards Loose footed sails.

Then when he saw the reef blocks on the stbd side of the boom, he suggested that we should go with the bolt rope in boom sail.

Then I mentioned that we wanted the zipup type sail cover and he moved back to the idea of loose footed sail.

Loose or bolt in the boom?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on November 01, 2015, 04:03:09 PM
We had a loft rep come to the boat today to measure up for new sails for Eximius.

He said that most sailors are moving towards Loose footed sails.

Then when he saw the reef blocks on the stbd side of the boom, he suggested that we should go with the bolt rope in boom sail.

Then I mentioned that we wanted the zipup type sail cover and he moved back to the idea of loose footed sail.

Loose or bolt in the boom?

Paul

LOOSE!  The reef system is irrelevant - wonder if he actually knows his stuff?
Do you have the slugged in-boom slugged outhaul?  Suggest looking at a track on the boom/block system.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

How is your outhaul workin' these days?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Ken- It seems by the all caps "LOOSE" that you have a strong opinion on the subject. Curious: what are the advantages of a loose-footed main over traditional/factory set-up on the C34?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on November 01, 2015, 05:53:23 PM
Ken- It seems by the all caps "LOOSE" that you have a strong opinion on the subject. Curious: what are the advantages of a loose-footed main over traditional/factory set-up on the C34?

Not as strong an opinion as for electrical and cooling pump issues.  :rolling

Better sail shape at the foot. 
There's more adjustability with proper control lines sewn into the sail to adjust the "shelf".

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Gary Brockman

Ken is absolutely right, a loose footed main gives you better sail shape and is easier to adjust the shape of the sail.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

britinusa

Quote from: Gary Brockman on November 01, 2015, 06:36:15 PM
Ken is absolutely right, a loose footed main gives you better sail shape and is easier to adjust the shape of the sail.

That's the kind of response I was looking for: Advantages
Any 'Cons' ?

Not sure if the reefing blocks are original, but there are a two matching pairs of blocks & tracks on the stbd side of the aft end of the boom. The current sail might be original! It has the Catalina badge (California) by the tack as well as the Catalina 34 Logo & Numbers on the sail. The edge of the leech is splitting open and is clearly stretched, other than a few holes that have bandaids over them the sail is in remarkable shape for 27 years old. It has 2 large metal cringles in the leach for reefing and a third smaller cringle higher up, that has reef ties locked in for a 3rd reef.

The company made a mistake in the quote, it was doubled, I pointed that out and the rep confirmed the mistake, but as they had not quoted for the new mainsail cover, it has to be redone entirely. I'll be calling them today to get the bottom line.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Jon,

I've experienced no negatives.

Make sure they install dog bones in the luff cringles.   If they ask "what's that" find a different loft!  LOL.

kk

britinusa

Are you referring to 'Jack Lines' attached to the lower sail slugs that allows the cringle to be lower than the top of the mast gate Screw.

Never heard them to referred to as Dog Bones.

Seemingly unusual descriptive names never fails to cause a smile on my face  :D

Recently on the local news, the reporter repeatedly referred to the high tide (Spring Tide) as 'King Tides' which I had never heard of before, the Irony is that the term appears to be common in the USA but I'm guessing it's used because the tide is 'above the rest'. However for the USA to use such an Imperial title over the more natural Springs and Neaps  :? :?

Our existing main does not have 'Dog Bones' or 'Jack Lines' on the lower sail slugs. Our previous boat, Catalina 250, did!

Another pointer to the sails possibly being original (1987)

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Hmmmmm

I thought I had covered that in a prev post.  Maybe it was on the 30 forum.

Google mainsail dog bone and see what images pop up.  A ss ring on either side with webbing in between, thru the cringle.  Makes it a lot easier to hook a reef hook or downhaul or Cunningham.

If not I'll find my pics tonite.

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Ted Pounds

Here's another alternative for dealing with slugs below the reef point:  http://www.mastgates.com/   They also help when covering the sail.  I put one of the fixed (with screws) mastgates on my Gloucester 19 and really like it.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

britinusa

Decision made.

We ordered the new sails, including a loose footed main. Being made at a local loft 'Super sail Makers' of Fort Lauderdale. We visited their loft yesterday, they will make them in house, so local employees.

They should be ready in early / mid December.

If anyone here has a loose footed main, do you use the standard (original) outhaul on the main?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Jim Hardesty

Paul,
I have in-mast furling so my main is loose footed.  So don't know how your standard outhaul will work.  My observation is that sailors that have switched use the outhaul more often trimming the main.  Now may be a good time to get the outhaul working well and possibly lead the adjustment to the cockpit.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA