Replaced rudder cap/emergency tiller cap

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

This haulout I replaced the old crappy aluminum rudder cap/emergency tiller cap with a new stainless steel one from Catalina Direct. Went pretty much as expected.  Bolts and nut came off but cap was corroded to the rudder post.  Blocked-up rudder so it wouldn't drop. Cut old cap in three spots with grinder, a coupe wacks with a hammer and chisel and it split off.  New one went on easy. Put some Neverseize on it for future insurance. Note: be carefull with the grinder to not cut too deep or to low.  I put taped a piece of wood (paint stir stick) to the fiberglass/post to protect top the rudder bearing washer. That way I would see wood fly before I cut too far. Did not get away totally free however. One annoying Doh! Blind-eyed me missed the chisel with the hammer and hit the gelcoat. Dang! Add it to my list of gelcoat touch-up....
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah,

That looks great!   And so SHINY!!!

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Noah : Nice job.  To bad a previous owner didn't remove that Aluminum cap and put some grease on the inside - I wrote that up in the Mainsheet tech notes in the 1990s.

It has been my experience that if you line up the bolt for removal, then take the cap off,  the rudder will stay in place until you turn the wheel.

I hope you sealed the rudder column to the rudder layup while you were fixing the tiller cap. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron, I blocked up the rudder as I didn't want to take a risk with any movement/slipping, as I have a lot of critical/expensive gear attached to the rudder post (see photo; autopilot ram and rudder indicator), which could have been ugly if they got whacked around.  Also, I passed on doing any rudder gland or rudder column work this go around, because all looked very good.  No weeping, no rust, no rudder play, etc. Not worth fixing something that didn't seem like it needed fixing. Someday maybe?

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

derekb

Just completed the same replacement, on the water. All went smoothly. My old cap was cracked through and one half had already fallen off, so the rest of it came off very easily!
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia