Catalina 425

Previous topic - Next topic

Solstice

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 28, 2017, 04:55:50 AM
Quote from: Fred Koehlmann on January 27, 2017, 02:05:44 PM
The boat has 2-8Ds as house bank, just forward of the companion way steps, under the floor boards, and another 8D under the forward berth floor for the windlass. There is room for an optional start battery under floor near the electrical panel/nav area. .................

Forgetting the switching for a moment, it would be interesting to determine if the battery tray depth is enough to accommodate the taller golf cart batteries.  As we've learned from Maine Sail, 8Ds are not true deep cycle batteries.  They are also darned heavy.  One of the C355 skippers has redone his boat with golf carts.  IIRC, he had some depth issues to deal with, but managed to do it.
Hi Stu,
That was me...have switched out my factory 4D's to Rolls 6Vs. Thankfully no problem with height. If I can figure out how to shrink the size of pics for posting I will.
As for the switch, that is for the Starter. All 5 series have this. Not sure if it is an ABYC recommendation these days, but the idea is to be able to kill the starter if it sticks.

Fred Koehlmann

Forgive my engine ignorance, I was never a car guy in in my youth, but how and why would a starter stick, so that you would need to "kill it"?
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

KWKloeber

Fred,

Here's an example....

http://www.sailfeed.com/2017/01/electrical-fire-and-some-lessons-learned-about-starters/

The start switch stuck, which left the solenoid engaged ......  or the solenoid can stick "in" , i.e.on" (due to corrosion, etc) which can leave current continuing to go to the starter motor after the engine starts.

Theoretically power to the starter and/or the solenoid can be broken with the 12BO switch, but that leaves you with no power to the distribution panel, which could be a disaster (instruments, nav lights, radar, whatever.) 

Ideally there should be a way to cut power to BOTH the solenoid or to the start switch (kill current in the "S" wire from the start switch to the solenoid,) and a switch to cut power to the starter motor (kill the current in the battery cable.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Solstice on January 30, 2017, 04:56:36 AM
If I can figure out how to shrink the size of pics for posting I will.
As for the switch, that is for the Starter. All 5 series have this. Not sure if it is an ABYC recommendation these days, but the idea is to be able to kill the starter if it sticks.

If you are using a windows PC, here's a simple/quick resizer that I use regularly. 
http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

The downside is that the options don't tell you the Kb of the resized file, so it's trial and (hopefully the first time,) success. 

Here's one that's more complicated that I also use.  Its up side is that you can specify the desired reduced file in Kb and it does what it needs to to get you there.
http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/

Or any windows bundled software like MS Paint (or there's a ton of free applications out there like PAINTG.net) that will physically resize pics (say 8"x10" to 4"x 5",) or reduce the resolution (say 600 dpi to 200 dpi,) or compress the saved file (say 70% compression) -- ALL of the three will reduce file size.

If you use a Mac.  Well, just don't.  Boating friends shouldn't let boating friends use Macs.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Ken, that's the hard way.

Easier?

I sent Solstice a pm, suggesting he look at the "101 Topics" which includes all the info one needs to do so.

Posting Photos 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Thanks Stu, one day I'll memorize all that's in the 101

I need a 101 for the 101 -- there's a lot of topics in there!!!!

BTW,
Your link to image resizer is dead and you might want to update your post...   It is now at http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

kk

Solstice

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 30, 2017, 11:08:53 AM
Ken, that's the hard way.

Easier?

I sent Solstice a pm, suggesting he look at the "101 Topics" which includes all the info one needs to do so.

Posting Photos 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Thanks Stu, I always check the 101 Topics if there is something I'm having trouble with. Mea culpa, it is another Catalina site that I was having trouble with.
I am quite computer literate and have some pretty sophisticated tools, but it was a royal pain so I just gave up...my bad....
Will post the pics when I have a chance...Thanks all

Fred Koehlmann

Thanks All for the interesting and some amusing feedback regarding the 425. As it is we were so interested in it that we did the unthinkable and bought it. We weren't planning on it, but had spoken about looking for something bigger than the 34, mostly to accommodate our growing boys and our (Kathy & mine) less than youthful selves. As much as we love the 34 and have had some great times on it, when we saw the 425 at the boat show, I think we fell in love again. It had everything that we were looking for, from the taller ceiling, a bed that we didn't have to climb up into, to a sail plan that one could easily sail solo, and something that we could likely retire on and potentially take south when we feel like a change from the Great Lakes.

Sorry about not letting on earlier, but we didn't want to jinx anything while things were still in transition. Sorry Dave, that you didn't get to see the inside of the boat.  :( That was likely us inside.  :oops: We didn't initially know that they were keeping people out and when we did, we told them to not worry and let them in.

Ken, thanks for the electrical info with respect to the forward shore power plug. We're having them add one to the boat and I wanted to make sure I had a correct understanding of the requirements.

Noah, you are right, it probably can't do "that".  :rolling But we're not planning on the Vandee Globe anyway. We're thinking about something little more casual and relaxing. My crazy sailing days slowed done, when my first son was born.

So needless to say you C34 MKII is up for sale/sail. (http://swansyachtsales.com/used-yachts/catalina-34/) She's been on Georgian Bay since we launched her in 2011 and is currently on the hard under her winter cover. She in great shape and would love to see her continue to sail up here (increase the # of Catalina's on the Bay), so if you know of someone looking for one just point them our way.

I'll probably stay on this board, since it has been so useful and informative, so I won't be saying good bye.

Cheers, Fred.

Noah

Very big congrats! I'm jealous! Here's to many great times to come aboard your new boat. And, I am sure it will not be long before another lucky sailor will be feeling the same excitement, as you, as they take the helm as the new owners of your "old" C34!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Wow, super Fred.  Good luck!!!!!!     :clap  :thumb: :clap :thumb: :clap
Envious!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In the front inlet are they installing a SP??   :think
I'm wondering if CTY has embraced revolution?   :donno:

Ken

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 02, 2017, 10:42:33 PM

I'm wondering if CTY has embraced revolution?   :donno:

Ken

Nah, they're finally listening to you.   :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Dave Spencer

Wow!  Congratulations Fred.   :clap. The 425 is a great looking boat.  I was able to get inside for a look on the first day of the show but perhaps you were aboard when I came back to take a few pictures on the Tuesday.  Let us know how the launch goes and maybe we'll see you on Georgian Bay or in the North Channel.  I assume they are transporting the boat to Penetanguishene / Midland for you rather than launching in Toronto where you would have to bring it through The Welland Canal and run across Erie and Huron.  My friend did that trip on his Bene that he bought east of Toronto.  It was long and tiring but it turned out to be a great shakedown cruise for him.

We'll need pictures!!

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

Thanks guys. We're excited as well.

Ken, yes it will be a SP. The stern shore-power is already a SP.

That's correct Dave, we paid the extra to have it delivered to Midland.

See you on the water.

kwaltersmi

Congrats! That's such an awesome boat. Wonder if she'll be the first 425 on the Great Lakes? Do you know?
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Stu Jackson

Congratulations, Fred.   Nice choice.  Very glad to hear you'll be sticking around here, too. Many thanks for your support and many quality contributions.