Transmission Fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

One of my dock mates asked me when I last changed my transmission fluid.  I have only had the boat for two years and have not done it myself, but it got me curious.  I find no note in the POs records, but he only had the boat about 4 years.  Is this something I should do, just to be on the safe side?  I have read postings on how to do it, but there does not seem to be anything about <<if>> I should do it if everything is working fine.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
If you don't know how long it's been, then it's definitely time to do it and you don't want to wait until there's a problem before you do it. After all, you wouldn't wait until your engine started having problems before you changed the oil on it.

The method I used was to first check the fluid level to verify that it's correct, then save the fluid that you drain or suck out in a measuring cup. Then you will know exactly how much to put back in and you can also see the color of the fluid. Brown is older, red is newer.

Some of us do this annually at haul out or re-splash but you could go to two years, depending on usage. Either way, you should visually check for leaks routinely during the season.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Steve : I always filled the transmission to the top for winter storage and sucked it all out in spring.  Helps keep all of the seals wet during storage.  Then filled back to the correct level. 

Like Mike, I also marked a container with the correct refill amount.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SPembleton

Sounds like a plan. I will follow both suggestions.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

KWKloeber

Here's a trick to make filling a little easier -- I got tired of sopping up spilled fluid using paper cups  -- and a funnel doesn't really fit the bill with the Hx (upgraded to 3") being right above my tranny dipstick.  Plus it's easier to know how much fluid hits the "full"  mark.   It may or may not work on your c34 engine compartment layout, but it works well on the 30.

I have a ...

1) plastic lab dispenser bottle (with a pointy cone top) -- I marked it for the proper tranny fluid amt (to the "full mark" on the dipstick -- in my case 0.3 liter for the HB-50.)  Harbor Freight has similar bottles, though not the quality of the lab bottle - or a ketchup (catsup?) picnic squeeze bottle also works well.  On the tip I have about 5" of vinyl tubing (zip-tied on.)  You can also use a lab "wash bottle" and cut off the dip tube inside the bottle.

2) red rubber bulb battery filler with the tube marked (w/ a zip tie) at the tranny "full" level. (i.e., I used the dipstick to mark the tube such that, if I hold the mark right at the fill port, the tip of the tube extends down to exactly the tranny "full" level.)  I found that I needed to zip tie the bulb onto the tube because tranny fluid makes the slip-on friction fit non-existent.

In use, I ...
A) suck out the old fluid using a pump and 1/4" OD stiff poly tubing (so I can "get into the corners.")

B) fill the squirt bottle to my 0.3L mark, hold the vinyl tube in the fill tranny fill port, tip up the bottle, and squeeze -- and voila' no muss, no fuss /no runs, no drips, no errors.

When I used to be on the hard for the winter, I'd change fluid @ Fall and completely fill the tranny, and in spring suck the level down to "full" using the battery filler (that was pre-marked at the correct level.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

SPembleton

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 02, 2015, 12:42:39 PM
Steve : I always filled the transmission to the top for winter storage and sucked it all out in spring.  Helps keep all of the seals wet during storage.

Why not just change the fluid in the fall.  I always change my oil in the fall so the fresh oil is in the crankcase all winter.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Stu Jackson

Steve,  please check the "101 Topics" sticky, there's a whole post on Transmissions 101.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."