Water heater

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan

Hi everyone:

Last year I noticed that the water heater was leaking. As soon as I filled the water tanks with fresh water, the fresh water leaked through the bottom of the water heater. I supposed this was because the water heater got rusty at the bottom. Since I never use hot water and to avoid this leaking of fresh water I put a shut off valve on the incoming hose. There is no more leaking of fresh water. Recently I noticed, however, that the relief valve is warm (not necessarily hot but pretty much warm). Frankly, since a year ago, I never check this valve so I don't know if it has been warm all this time. The question is, is this normal? Is there any way to shut off the electricity to the water heater...I don't see an obvious on-off switch for this..

Thanks

Juan

sselinger

My Mk I has a circut breaker on the power panel for the water heater. You can turn this off.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Jim Hardesty

Juan,
Was it warm after running the engine?  You also have engine coolant going through the water heater.  I think that may be the source of the heat.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Juan on September 27, 2015, 07:08:36 AM
...in my boat there is no obvious way to shut off the electricity to the heater.

Juan,

That would be very odd.  There should be a water heater breaker on the A.C. side of your electrical panel.  It's also in the boat manual.

Like this picture, it's a push button on my boat.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2620.msg13781.html#msg13781
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Juan on September 27, 2015, 05:36:47 AM
Hi everyone:

Last year I noticed that the water heater was leaking. As soon as I filled the water tanks with fresh water, the fresh water leaked through the bottom of the water heater. I supposed this was because the water heater got rusty at the bottom. Since I never use hot water and to avoid this leaking of fresh water I put a shut off valve on the incoming hose. There is no more leaking of fresh water. Recently I noticed, however, that the relief valve is warm (not necessarily hot but pretty much warm). Frankly, since a year ago, I never check this valve so I don't know if it has been warm all this time. The question is, is this normal? Is there any way to shut off the electricity to the water heater...I don't see an obvious on-off switch for this..

Thanks

Juan

If you have no potable water in the tank (not speaking of the engine coolant loops) and have no breaker to 'break,' it's odd that the element is still functioning -- running it dry will burn it up.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Juan on September 27, 2015, 07:08:36 AM

I know water coolant also go through the water heater. Fortunately, this is not leaking (yet). I am planning to bypass the water coolant that goes through the water heater.

Juan,

Don't know if you've seen this:

Heater Hose from Engine to Heater

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.msg21253.html#msg21253
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Juan : There should be a breaker, as Stu said , on your main electrical panel that will shut off the AC power to the hot water heater.  

Also you can turn off AC shore power, take the panel off the side of the water heater (side door) and disconnect the black & ground AC wires on the water heater and cap those wire with a wire nut(for protection).  This should break the AC electrical circuit.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 28, 2015, 02:44:28 PM
Juan : There should be a breaker, as Stu said , on your main electrical panel that will shut off the AC power to the hot water heater. 

disconnect the black ground AC wire

Juan, Ron meant the black HOT A/C wire.  Don't grab an AC black wire thinking it's the neutral or ground and is harmless  -- bad things will happen.   :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would also disconnect and wire nut off both the black and white (just in case someone reversed the polarity of the conductor colors.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain