Windlass problem

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

The windlass on Sabbatica has never worked since I bought her 2 years ago.  I decided today to have a look and see if I could figure out the problem.  After doing some research on here, I believe it is a maxwell VC500.

Bottom line is that when engaged, nothing happens.  I first thought it might be the switch so I wired the positives to the same post (bypassing the switch) and turned on the power.  Nothing happened but some smoke did start coming out of the windlass.  Eventually the breaker popped.  The negative wire was quite hot.

I then took the windlass apart - not really having any idea what I was doing.  My thought was that the negative might be corroded and not allowing enough current.  I cleaned everything as good as I could. 

When it was dismantled, I was able to turn the shaft (with a lot of effort) and it did seem that the drum turned a little.  From up top, I can't turn the drum at all.

I reassembled everything and tried again.  This time there was a slight knock and then nothing.  When I examined the drum, I think it turned about 1/8th of a turn and then stopped.

All of this has led me to believe (and I may be totally off base) that the drum is seized.  Is this possible?  If so, what is the best way to free it?  Any other ideas what might be wrong?

Hope this make sense.  Thanks.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

patrice

HI,

The motor have a gearbox that will reduce the speed of the motor to the drum.
This will make impossible to turn the drum end.
If you can have access to the motor shaft end and try to turn it.

For the electrical side, I'll let other answer you
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~