sticker shock for dodger/bimini

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: mainesail on October 02, 2015, 04:53:13 AM

303 Aerospace is NOT 303 Fabric Guard. Please DO NOT confuse the two... '[

MEA CULPA!!

Just to close the loop on this "precisely"  -- I mistakenly said both 303s were labelled "Aerospace".  Not so - I usually check mfgrs' website for such things, but this time went from memory (CRS).  As RC said there's

* 303 High Tech Fabric Guard
* 303 Aerospace Protectant (kinda like ArmorAll, but containing with lots of UV shield.)  I've used it after waxing and it does impart a nice shine and add additional UV protection on just about anything (NOT canvas though.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

Does the Tractor Supply sprayer shoot a fan spray or a round (conical) spray.  Asking because I have a piston sprayer (Ortho brand) that shoots a conical spray and wondering if a fan spray may be easier to do this job because you can sweep the canvas with the fan shape.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

rmbrown

I'm having some screen panels made and need to choose between snaps and twist locks.  Canvas guy says twist locks are better but more trouble (money) and leans toward snaps.  Opinions welcome!

Whichever is selected, what's the proper way to attach them to the fiberglass to prevent leaking or damage downstream.  (In a previous life, someone installed snap bases in a very substandard way so I want to make sure it's done right this time.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : I don't know where you are mounting these screens? 
What You need to decide is if the twist lock is going to protrude - be in the way and possibly be broken?

Your choice - A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mick Laver

Mike - When I redid my dodger a couple of years back I told my canvas guy to get rid of any and all snaps and replace them with the twist aka "common sense" fasteners. I have not regretted that decision. I always found snap fasteners a pain to re-fasten, especially if the canvas has been under even slight tension. This even with periodic lubrication.

If you do go with CS fasteners I'd ask your guy (gal?) about the double-height ones. These provide some flexibility later on if you decide to add additional pieces such as a temporary sunscreen. I never have had an issue with the addition height of CS fasteners over snaps.

I'm curious about the installation problem. I would drill out the hole for the screw, counter-sink it, and thread the fastener in slowly after applying some sealant to the threads. Twist in a turn, back off a half turn, then repeat until it's flush.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

rmbrown

Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

britinusa

If the snap/twistlock is going to be mounted on fiberglass, then consider Snads from http://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=snads

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Mike

Where are the panels going to be mounted against?  That would make a difference between CS and snap fasteners.  There's other options, for instance Lift-the-dot -- all have pluses and minuses..

When you say correct way to mount.... explain.  To watertite the fasterner hole?  or what?

Long ago a canvas guy screwed snaps into nothing but a thin outer gel/fglass shell that sits about 1/2" outside the actual f'glass substrate on a portion of my cockpit coming.  There's nothing the screws were cutting into, except the 1/4? inch "shell."  Naturally, eventually the tapping screws loosened/stripped/pulled out.  If that's your situation I have a good fix, but won't go on and on about it unless that's your situation.

To waterproof them, defo countersinking and sealant (run out a small diameter string of butyl and wrap around the screw shaft under the snap head.)  Or some have put an o-ring under the head.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : If you are going into fiberglass you can also use the "Push -the-dot" fasteners.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

bayates

Jim,

$6K for dodger, Bimini and connector is not bad. We just had the dodger with cover done last year and it was almost $3500 with maktolon glass which is awesome. Our Bimini is 5 plus years old and was $3k plus but is larger than normal and taller. The connector a couple hundred. You definitely want sunbrella fabrics. We had a large window installed in Bimini to see the sail trim.

Brian
Hakuna Matata
2000 c34 MKII
San Diego
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

bayates

Noah, 

Jan Mitchell Canvas. He does great work. Has done work on Other C34 in San Diego as well. Not always the fastest but great work and very fussy and stands behind it if there is an issue. Will be at the boat next weekend if you want to check out the work.

Brian
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Kevin Henderson

Looking to add a Bimini to Pau Hana.  Understand this is an old topic but I want to ask. 
In San Diego, can anyone recommend a good shop?
I would need the tubes and the canvas and install. 
I also have an adjustable back stay.  Can that create problems? 
How much can one expect to pay? 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

scgunner

Kevin,

A good boat covers shop won't have any trouble working around your rigging, most boat covers are custom installations. One way to find a good covers maker is to take a walk around your marina and look at the boats(power boats too), most makers label their work. If you see a lot of one particular label it probably means they do good work for a reasonable price.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

awesome34

I used Whyte Cap Canvas Works in San Diego to replace a couple of pieces of canvas that had worn out recently. Peter did a good job for me and I feel like the price was fair. My dodger is about to wear out and, when I decide to replace it, I plan to get multiple estimates to compare prices, but I will definitely get an estimate from him.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/whyte-cap-canvas-works-san-diego-2