Aqualift muffler replace and exhaust refit (with PIX)

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

FWIW, here's a link to a C30 brother who just finished up his replacement of the crappy old, leaky, Aqualift with a spankin' new Centek, and replaced the problematic iron pipe riser with the Westerbeke water cooled riser.  This was on an XPB previous repower, and also did complete engine rewire project.  

A really sweet project and excellent work for a DIY with no prior experience -- and no more leaks or having to replace the riser again.  The engine compartment runs MUCH cooler with the water-injected riser.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Catalina30/conversations/messages/105117

The basics would be applicable/similar to a C34 exhaust rework, so I'll post the photos and upcoming write-up later if I get permission.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ken : I'd be careful on what you advise:  Because the C34 Mk I has 17 feet of exhaust hose.

When the engine stops running there is some exhaust water in that length that flows back into the muffler.  That's why the early C34s have such a large muffler!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 31, 2015, 02:33:12 PM
Ken : I'd be careful on what you advise:  Because the C34 Mk I has 17 feet of exhaust hose.

When the engine stops running there is some exhaust water in that length that flows back into the muffler.  That's why the early C34s have such a large muffler!

A thought

Ron, would I be anything BUT careful about advising anything?  Please clarify what are you saying -- are you saying that the muffler design isn't appropriate for the C-34, and won;t work?  It was developed in conjunction with and at the recommendation of Centek to negate any chance of a hydrolock due to backflow.

The C-30 has 25 feet of exhaust hose. with a high hump in the sail ocker.  Try it on the C34 - shut down, drain the aqualift and measure how much water you get out.  A cup or two is my estimate.

The aqualift is so oversized because no matter how much water is in there, there's a possibility of it getting to the cylinders.  It was a bad design, but necessitated because the muffler couldn't be placed on centerline.  The alternate design ELIMINATES that inherent fault.

The alternate design is a reverse with the inlet opposite the engine, and so all water is contained even on a hard heel, and cannot get back to the exhaust valves.  Unlike the Aqualift that is oversized only in order to compensate for that shortcoming, the alternate design is the best of many worlds -- cooler running exhaust, all high temp silicone, absolutely nothing to corrode or wear out, and no water gets back to the cylinders.

Cheers,
ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

I tried the link with my yahoo login, but says I need to be a member of the C30 Assoc. Any other way to see the pics?  Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

KWKloeber

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on August 31, 2015, 06:03:30 PM
I tried the link with my yahoo login, but says I need to be a member of the C20 Assoc. Any other way to see the pics?  Jon W.

Ok, I guess you can read posts, but not look at photos? I'm not sure what the permissions are with YahCHOO! forums.

I hope the pics pasted correctly from the original YahCHOO! post.

See below.
Ken

Jon W

Can't read posts on the C30 site either. The message said I need to be a member.  Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca