Datamarine wind gauge reading weird

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Had my Datamarine wind gauge repaired last year.  Has been working perfectly all summer.  Went out yesterday and today.  Was reading 180* off of where the wind was.  It was consistent though.  When the wind would shift, the gauge would shift but was always off 180*.  It seemed to be reading accurate wind speed.  All day yesterday it was off and all day today, except when we got back to the dock, I happened to look at it and it was reading correctly.  Can't figure out what was going on.

KWKloeber

Quote from: mregan on August 30, 2015, 05:26:28 PM
Had my Datamarine wind gauge repaired last year.  Has been working perfectly all summer.  Went out yesterday and today.  Was reading 180* off of where the wind was.  It was consistent though.  When the wind would shift, the gauge would shift but was always off 180*.  It seemed to be reading accurate wind speed.  All day yesterday it was off and all day today, except when we got back to the dock, I happened to look at it and it was reading correctly.  Can't figure out what was going on.

Bermuda Triangle!!!!   :shock:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

mre : I'd check the wire connections on the back of the instrument. 

If that oddity continues to happen - Id take a trip up the mast disconnect the top unit connection and spray some Radio Shack "Turner Cleaner" in that female 8 pin connector.  Then reconnect.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

I emailed DMI Marine in Mass.  They repair all the old Datamarine instruments.  They also mentioned checking the connections on the back of the unit and also at the base of the mast.  Said it sounded like a lose or bad connection.