Windlass Install - Replaced Double Doors

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

When visiting my daughter in Kuai'i last week I took a few minutes to look at Hawaii boats on the internet. I found a 1986 Catalina 34 with an interesting approach to adding a windlass I wanted to pass on.

I did not see the boat in person (different island) so have no details, but have attached two pictures copied from that site.

I hadn't thought of replacing the double doors with a SST plate bolted to the top of the well. It looks like it has a lot of positives.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Andrew Harvey

I am still wrestling with the idea of a windlass. Electric, manual, horizontal or vertical.This is an interesting approach
I wonder how the SS plate was secured.
I suppose you could back the existing doors with steel or aluminum for the same effect but with a more aesthetic appeal
Andrew Harvey

Ken Juul

looks like a lot of unneeded weight, plus way too much stainless to keep polished.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bobg

refreshing to see a new approach, I need a windlass due to being recently old, kicking around what to do, thanks for taking the time to show us what others do
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Guys : Like Ken said + stainless will rust in heavy salt water.

I installed my double door windless below because I didn't want any obstruction on deck!!  Look in WiKi

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Looks like SST to me also, but the other photo is oxidized like aluminum. I saw a couple of windlass installs in the projects wiki, just wanted to pass on a very different approach to everyone. I do like the simplicity of the installation and seems to lend itself to single handling. Jon  W
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

SPembleton

My PO installed a horizontal manual windlass on just the port side door, allowing the starboard side to open. Nor sure if this would work for power windlasses. If you want a pic, let me know.

Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Noah

Curious...what year did they change from a double door to a single door? My early 1990 boat has a single door hinged on portside, with a Maxwell horizontal windlass mounted under. OMO: That "metal" foredeck doesn't look like anywhere I'd like be...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Andrew, looks to me like 4 screws each side of the forward section with the windlass. Could be through bolts but not sure you can get in there unless beckson plates were added. Depending on the thickness if SST it could weigh 40-60 lbs plus the ~25 lbs for the windlass so I'd want to make sure it wouldn't come loose.

Steve, a picture would be great. Thanks.

Noah, I'm curious what's the end of your sentence?

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

All I mean is it looks like a dangerous, slippery, cluttered foredeck to me.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SPembleton

I thought everyone had the double doors. I have a 1986 and believe they were original. Picture is attached.  If anyone wants to give me tips regarding better uploading of pics, I am all ears, or eyes!
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

patrice

Quote from: Noah on August 31, 2015, 05:49:19 PM
Curious...what year did they change from a double door to a single door? My early 1990 boat has a single door hinged on portside, with a Maxwell horizontal windlass mounted under. OMO: That "metal" foredeck doesn't look like anywhere I'd like be...

I have a 1989 with single door too.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~