Propeller Shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

:abd: When Surprise is hauled for winter storage, I will need to replace the prop shaft. I am planning to start by loosening the set screws holding the shaft in the coupling and then  the stuffing box gland nut.  The next step would be to get the cutless bearing out of the skeg. By tapping the propeller's hub I am hoping to get the shaft out of the coupling.  Finally, I would remove the prop and the cutless bearing and pull the shaft completely out of the boat. If you have pulled the prop shaft, please let me know if my planned procedure will work.

Thanks,

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ken Juul

if you are replacing the shaft, just cut it into several smaller pieces.  Much easier to get a short piece of shaft out of the coupler on the work bench.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Vic Suben

Cutting the shaft won't help:  In order to  get the correct length shaft from Catalina Direct, I need to get the exact length of the existing shaft.
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Cut it to make it easier to pull out.  Then line up the pieces and measure the total length.  The few cuts you make won't matter.  Somewhere here is a discussion of shaft lengths through the search engine.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Vic : If you have to cut the shaft don't worry as a shaft measurement isn't critical within 1/2"+.  So
cutting it won't change the length that much - 1/16" at most ??

If that shaft hasn't been out of the flange for 28 years?? -- be prepared for some fun getting the shaft free from the flange!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Andrew Harvey

Make sure that you install the new shaft without the new cutlass bearing installed or you will never get it in past the rudder
Andrew Harvey

KWKloeber

Quote from: Vic Suben on August 17, 2015, 04:51:35 AM
:abd: When Surprise is hauled for winter storage, I will need to replace the prop shaft. I am planning to start by loosening the set screws holding the shaft in the coupling and then  the stuffing box gland nut.  The next step would be to get the cutless bearing out of the skeg. By tapping the propeller's hub I am hoping to get the shaft out of the coupling.  Finally, I would remove the prop and the cutless bearing and pull the shaft completely out of the boat. If you have pulled the prop shaft, please let me know if my planned procedure will work.

Thanks,

Vic

1.  It's not that difficult to remove a rudder so that you can slide the shaft out w/o first removing the cutlass.  If you have a shovel, that is.  I did that.   Also did it the other way.

2. If you have to cut it, no big deal, you can remeasure to get the right length and get a new coupling, faced with the shaft.

3.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQHLvUUyuE

4. BE SURE to lap fit the prop onto the new shaft.   www.pbase.com/mainecruising/fitting_a_prop

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

oldcatsailor

removed old bronze shaft 2013 it will slide next to rudder grease helps. then notch cotless bearing and collapse new shaft will slide next to rudder more grease i made a tool to press new bearing in. no set screw on the 1990 and is the 1/8 bearing.if your close will lend the tool. to get the coupling off got longer bolts and put socket between the shaft and trans side and pressed the shaft out
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

Ed Shankle

there is a tool available to remove/install a cutless bearing in place, with just the prop removed. See if your's has it. The small amount of angle you pick up when the bearing is removed makes sliding the shaft past the rudder much easier. I recommended it to my marina a number of years ago, they bought it and loved it. Makes bearing replacement faster and easier too.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ed Shankle on August 20, 2015, 09:37:51 AM
there is a tool available to remove/install a cutless bearing in place, with just the prop removed. See if your's has it. The small amount of angle you pick up when the bearing is removed makes sliding the shaft past the rudder much easier. I recommended it to my marina a number of years ago, they bought it and loved it. Makes bearing replacement faster and easier too.

Ed

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQHLvUUyuE
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Vic Suben

Several years ago I made a tool to remove and install the cutless bearing.  I use the same tool to remove the prop.  I wonder if I could use the same tool to press the shaft out of the coupling.

Vic

Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

KWKloeber

Quote from: Vic Suben on August 29, 2015, 04:37:26 AM
Several years ago I made a tool to remove and install the cutless bearing.  I use the same tool to remove the prop.  I wonder if I could use the same tool to press the shaft out of the coupling.

Vic

The most common way to remove the shaft is a socket between the halves of the coupling, and tightening the coupling in multiple 'take ups' to push the shaft bit by bit.  But a completely frozen-on shaft is an issue no matter the method.  Lots of blaster (soaking for weeks), alternating heat, maybe drilling the coupling to get blaster into the crevice, etc might make a difference, but ultimately many times cutting the shaft is the only wway.  I had a customer make a plastic baggie 'hammock' so his cutlass was immersed in blaster for a week before removing it.  Might be able to do something similar with the coupling/shaft.

kk

Ken Juul

There are a very active fleet in the long island sound area.  IIRC C36, but it has been years.  They may have a tool chest with a cutless bearing puller they can loan you.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Geoffreykwright

Hi.  I also need to replace my shaft.  Would there be an existing spec for a replacement if I provided make, model, year, hull#?  I have written to Catalina Yachts Parts Department but no response as of yet.

I would prefer NOT to have to pull the old shaft before I order the new one as it means more time on the hard (which I need to pay for).  Obviously I need to do this right, so if pulling and measuring is the only way to go then I will have to do it.

Just wondering if anyone knows if a spec is available for my shaft.

thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Just use the old fashioned land line (if you still have one) or one of the new-fangled cellular devices and speak "in person" to Ken Roy at CYT parts.
Quicker is slicker.