Oil out of breather tube

Previous topic - Next topic

Braxton

Today after running our engine (universal m25xp) we discovered a ton of oil in the bilge.   Engine was about 3 quarts low and it looks like all of that oil was dumped out of the breather tube into the bilge.    Internet lore points to kubotas having an issue with the oil gallery plug becoming dislodged and causing a build up of oil in the head with the result being oil coming out the breather tube.

Has anyone experienced this?   If so was the fix as simple as replacing that plug?   Is getting to that plug a user serviceable thing?

Any other useful thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Ron Hill

Braxton : You are the first one that I've heard of that's had the problem of a blocked oil gallery with oil coming out of the breather hose!!

Usually oil in the bilge has come from a unseated dipstick.
Ron, Apache #788

Braxton

I wish it were that straight forward.

I have ordered the rocker cover gasket and plan on doing some exploratory surgery when it comes in.   Does anyone have experience with the rocker cover?   Taking it off seems straight forward but it's on a boat so I expect that there will be some unexpected bizarre twist that complicates things.
Braxton Allport

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

This may sound stupid but is it possible that you added too much oil to the engine and it's just blowing off the excess?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Braxton

It doesn't sound stupid.    This is the second time it has happened (with about a 2 year gap in between).    The first time it happened I assumed that that was the issue.     This time around I am pretty sure it isn't.     It was 3 quarts low by the time it stopped erupting so I am pretty sure that it isn't the problem this time.
Braxton Allport

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Braxton,
Has someone other than yourself checked the oil for you and found the first reading to be low without rechecking a second time and possibly added more oil? I'm sure you're aware of the issue with the dipstick giving a false low reading the first time you pull it out and I don't mean to question your knowledge but I like to start with the simple possibilities first.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Gary

Mike,

You may be very right on the dipstick and adding too much oil......our 1986 has never needed a drop of oil but is sure requires pulling the stick to let the oil rise in the dipstick tube to get an accurate check. A first reading can make the engine look a quart or more low.

Thoughtful advice for Braxton !!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Braxton

I don't think this is what is happening.   It seems like I would notice that I was adding way to much oil during oil changes.   But just in case, please tell me more.   I'd much rather the solution was me just being stupid vs. there being some unknown mechanical issue I need to figure out.

How long do you typically need to wait before rechecking the level?  If it's just a couple of seconds then I am definitely doing that.   If I should be waiting a full minute or so then I am definitely not doing it.

Thx.

Braxton Allport

Stu Jackson

Braxton,

I open up the door, pull up the stick and go about my business opening thru hulls, getting stuff up into the cockpit, etc.  Then I go back and do the stick.  Anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours!  Really, there is no hurry to do so.  Give it more time, like a whole minute, and it will work properly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

3 quarts low?

Isn't that close to empty!

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Braxton : You don't have to leave that dip stick loose/unseated for more than 30 seconds to get a correct reading (have the oils flow back up into the tube).

If you want to do like Stu and do other things I'd definitely leave the steps out and the float with the 'ignition" key on the dipstick!!!   That way you won't forget to reseat the oil dipstick and start the engine - causing one hell of a mess !!

Paul : You'll be lucky to extract 3 1/2 quarts ( capacity 4 qts) of oil unless you moved the plug aft on the oil pan (M25 & M25XP engines)

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Usually I would just pull out the dip stick, wipe it off and put it back in and then check it again but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to  leave it out for a minute or two as long as you remember to put it back, as Ron mentioned.
BTW, how did you know you were 3 quarts low? Is that what it took to get it back to the full mark?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on August 17, 2015, 01:24:23 PM

...I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to  leave it out for a minute or two as long as you remember to put it back...

I leave the door to the aft cabin open and leave the small door to the dipstick open until I'm done checking it.  Not so hard.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Braxton

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on August 17, 2015, 01:24:23 PM
Usually I would just pull out the dip stick, wipe it off and put it back in and then check it again but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to  leave it out for a minute or two as long as you remember to put it back, as Ron mentioned.
BTW, how did you know you were 3 quarts low? Is that what it took to get it back to the full mark?

Yes, that's what it took.   The engine ran for about 2 hours the next day without issues.  

I'll be back down at the boat tomorrow to clean up the mess that is in the bilge.   I'll let it sit without the diet ck in for a bit to see if I am to high.
Braxton Allport

Braxton

Update.

With some help from the minions I now have a cleaner bilge then I ever have had.   

At this point in time I am not overfilled on the oil.   The three quarts that I added to bring it back up to level did just that and no more.   Of course it's impossible to know if I had overfilled it before.

The gasket is in so I can pull the rocker cover and replace it.   Hopefully that will reveal something definitive.

FYI:   My manual from Universal states that the engine has an oil capacity between 4.0 and 4.4 quarts.
Braxton Allport