Fin Keel Locations

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

First, my apologies for a sales related question as opposed to a more technical issue.  We are reluctantly selling our boat, but have run up against the issue of our keel, which is a fin and not a wing.  The boat was purchased in Florida, is currently in Tampa Bay, and we have extensively sailed in Gulf coastal waters for many years without grounding (one watches the depth finder and uses charts).  We are now being told that fin keel boats do not generally sell well in the Gulf region, and that we should consider shipping the boat to where fin keels are preferred.  People keep telling to head North, but without giving any specific locations.   Our questions are: 1) how valid is this problem with fin keels in the Gulf, as we had never heard it before, and 2) "...where North?"   The Great Lakes, Long Island Sound, where?   Again, we are not trying to sell the boat on this site (it is already listed with a broker), but are looking for some guidance.  Any help would be appreciated.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Paulus

There are a lot o fin keels boats, Catalina 34's here in the Holland to Muskegon area.   Very active club racing area.
Good Luck,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Stephen, you may want to get in touch with Fleet 14 Captain Robert Schuldenfrei  (SchuldenfreiR att BellSouth dott net) and see what he and his cohorts have been experiencing.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

Did you bought it in Fla ?
You sailed in fla ?

Why couldn't you sell it in Fla ?

You have a brocker who have it listed, wait a little to see what will happen.
Worse case scenario, after a while drop the price $$$, less than to have it ship north.  It will cost you a few $K for prep and ship.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

karista

Steve!
Interesting question!
My boat is close to your Hull Number. I bought the boat new with the wing keel in Florida and then had her immediately trucked to my Marina in upstate NY,( Lake Ontario). I could not find a new wing keel Catalina 34 at any dealer in that area, they only had fin keels, just the opposite of the West Coast dealers in Florida, who only had wing keels. I wanted the wing keel as we knew we would eventually move to the West Coast of Florida, where water depth has always been a concern.
You could investigate what it would cost to have her refitted with a wing keel, The Catalina factory is right here in Largo, and then inquire what Sailors Wharf Yard would charge for the retrofit. They are located on Salt Creek in St. Petersburg. Then get a estimate to truck her either to the Atlantic site of Florida or up to the Great Lakes. Contact a few of the Large Dealers up there for their advise. The Largest Dealer in Upstate NY was RCR Yachts.
My neighbor had his 48' fin keel sailboat trucked to Miami where it sold quickly, it was listed here in Tampa for almost a year, and the fin keel was the problem.
I believe that your broker is correct about the difficulty in selling a fin keel boat in this area.

Good Luck!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ron Hill

Steve : I know of a number of fin keel C34s &C36s that sail in Fl. and the Bahamas with no problems.

Before I did anything to your C34 or made plans to ship it "north"; I'd put it on the market as is and see what happens.  You've sailed it successfully and there are a bunch of other boat brands with fin keels that sell in Fl. !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Thank you for all your advice.  We will continue to list our boat for awhile and see what occurs.  As for trucking a 25 year old boat, even if it is in very good condition, updated, etc., just does not seem worthwhile, at least at this point.  As for changing out the keel to a wing configuration, really big bucks.  So we will wait and see for a while longer.  Thanks again everyone.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Andrew Harvey

We did actually swap keels. We preferred the wing keel for sailing shoal infested Georgian Bay. Another C34 Member was looking for a Fin keel to sail Lake Michigan.
It was a win win for us and two respective boatyards made some money on labour

Andrew Harvey

tommyt

Andrew, that is what I call a swap!!! Not many have tried that one. The last time I priced a wing it was over $5000. Assume the fin would be similar. Good for both of you...and the marine guys that made a few bucks as well.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Les Luzar

Stephen,
Don't change the keel. I agree with Ron, put the boat on the market and sell it as is. Full keel boats sell in FL. A friend of mine who lives in FL just sold his Beneteau with a full keel. It isn't worth the expense and energy, to change the keel.  Good luck.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Wayne

And at 5'7" our fin keels aren't exactly shoal draft, but that's still 5" more shallow than a 6' keel . . . almost a selling point!  If it doesn't sell on the west coast, taking a week sailing vacation to move it to Miami?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca