M 25xp

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

This summer I noticed a small oil leak.  It seems to be coming from a black knob located below the alternator.  The mechanic seems to think that this was or could be used for a dipstick.  Part of the black rubber coating is missing. It does show in the manual, but no idea what it is or can it be replaced?  Appreciate any ideas or thoughts.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Paul, yes, that reportedly was the dipstick location for the tractors.  There is a Kubota tractor manual in the wiki.  You may find it there.  I don't know where the caps came from.  A call to Catalina Yachts may be in order, although you say you found it in the manual.  What manual?  If it's in the marine engine manual, then TOAD (www.marinedieseldirect.com) should have the part.  If it's threaded, it may be something as simple as dropping the alternator and replacing it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

It shows in my marine manual for the engine.  I will check out the websites.  We also have a very large diesel outlet in Grand Rapids, MI and hope to stop by and talk to them.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on August 12, 2015, 04:10:28 PM
It shows in my marine manual for the engine.  I will check out the websites.  We also have a very large diesel outlet in Grand Rapids, MI and hope to stop by and talk to them.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul, the D850 tractor block had the dipstick on the port side (behind our exhaust manifold, so obviously that didn't work.)  When Universal marineized the Kubota engine, the dipstick was moved to the stbd side (oil pan) and the old location plugged (p/n is 300207 -- no longer available).   If that's the leak maybe you can plug it with a "Well nut" (rubber expansion nut) or something else that fits the hole?

Also does your crankcase breather hose dump into the bilge, or was it run to/connected to the air intake housing?  That was a source of oil on my M25.

CTY had nothing to do with parts for the engines - they were drop ins.  The marineizing and mods to the tractor engine was all before CTY got the engines. (other than, of course fabricating the gummy bear trailer plugs and wire harness, rather than buying Universal's harness.)

Only on the B series was CTY involved (slight wiring change to the standard Westerbeke schematic) to accommodate the CTY/Seaward engine panel, rather than Westerbeke's panel.

Good luck,
Ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : That plug is for the tractor oil dipstick.  Don't call Catalina Yachts as it was done by the Universal Engines people in Oshkosh, Wi when they "marinized" the Kubota D950 block into the M25XP engine.

I had the same problem and rounded the head of that plug trying to tighten/remove it!!  I finally cleaned the surface with acetone (a couple of times) and took epoxy putty and covered that plug.  That stopped that oil leak.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

My oil leak comes from this plug.  I catch the blow by in a bottle.  I found the it on TOAD and Torresen is trying to get a plug for me.  Does the old one screw out?  I have not attempted to do anything yet. 
Will take a better look at it the next time I go to Muskengon.  The diesel place(AIS) in Grand Rapids suggested that I may have to tread this hole. 
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on August 13, 2015, 11:51:33 AM
My oil leak comes from this plug.  I catch the blow by in a bottle.  I found the it on TOAD and Torresen is trying to get a plug for me.  Does the old one screw out?  I have not attempted to do anything yet. 
Will take a better look at it the next time I go to Muskengon.  The diesel place(AIS) in Grand Rapids suggested that I may have to tread this hole. 
Thanks,
Paul

If you thread the hole you risk getting block filings into the oil pan.   Not what you want to do.
Rubber plug, as I said - a proper size Well Nut the and a brass or stainless machine screw or a stainless hex bolt through the Well Nut to tighten it, depending on the size Well Nut that you use.  Hardware store has them w/ brass threads, WM has them w/ s/steel threads.

Alternately fill the hole w/ Mighty (epoxy) Putty after cleaning every bit of oil from it.

I don't know if it is threaded,  I doubt it -- dipstick probably just sat in the hole, with its rubber bung making the seal.  Same as the current dipstick does.

if you're just catching blow by in a bottle, that's not eliminating the associated odor, is it?  It can get very obnoxious.

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

I do not have a problem with oder.  The part is no longer available.  Does anyone know if this screws out? 
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on August 13, 2015, 01:56:21 PM
I do not have a problem with oder.  The part is no longer available.  Does anyone know if this screws out?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul.
See prev post about the OEM hole and dipstick.

Knowing how Universal and now Westerbeke half-asses things to minimize cost, most likely "NO."
The tractor dipstick simply slips into the hole, and seals exactly like the current dipstick does.

An expanding rubber "Well Nut"!!

Your M-25 guy,
kk

Roc

Paul,
KWK has a good solution for you about the Well Nut.  But I thought if you prefer (and it's available)..maybe get the original Kubota dip stick, cut off the stick that goes into the engine and just use the plugging 'bung' to stop up the hole?  The Well Nut solution might be your best bet however....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

All : For those of you that don't know an M25 /M25XP engine :  The tractor oil dip stick port is just under the alternator!!

You can screw around taking out the old plug and installing a new one to stop the little oil leak. How ever, on a clean surface some epoxy putty works just great!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Here is a pic of the plug, the end came off first and then I was able to pull the rest out.  Do not know if I broke the end top off or if it was partially broken. 
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

Did you fix up/replace your broken dipstick (your pic below)? 
I need to order in some parts and found the correct Kubota dipstick.

Also do you (or anyone else) need the OEM plug that fills the hole left from the port-side oil dipstick?

Cheers
Ken

Quote from: Paulus on August 17, 2015, 01:27:39 PM
Here is a pic of the plug, the end came off first and then I was able to pull the rest out.  Do not know if I broke the end top off or if it was partially broken.

Paulus

Hi Ken, I did not replace the broken dipstick but plugged the hole on the port side.  Do you have a pic of the OEM plug that you are using Ken? 
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

No unfortunately I don't -- no better than what's in the Wb parts list (I understand its NLA thru Wb.)
If you need either I'm adding an order onto my distributor's regular stock order today so I don't have to pay shipping in from Japan.

Ken