Newbie Question on potential C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Fred's right.

This is from the archived FAQs from a looong time ago:

Subject: [C34] Buying a Catalina 34
My experience has been that a close observation of the seller and those things surrounding them can often give a clue as to the seller's approach to care & maintenance in general. Rare is the person who lets their car stay dirty, with leaking oil, grating brakes, etc., while meticulously caring for and maintaining their diesel engine & fiberglass boat.
Spousal care & maintenance might be an exception.
John LeMasters, Blue Moon #753
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

I saw this boat up in Port Washington three weeks ago and it looks like it has been badly neglected.  It is in much worse shape than the photos reflect, at least on the outside.  I would be suspicious of any and all maintenance issues.  I have a friend who is looking at C34s (he has a C30 now) and his reaction was to head in the opposite direction.  It definitely is a project boat, which is OK if you know that going into it. 

If you are looking for a Lake Michigan Mark I boat that is in decent condition, you should be prepared to pay something in the range of $50K, perhaps a little less.  Any asking price substantially below that is going to reflect the amount of time and money you will have to put into it to bring it up to decent condition. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Clay Greene

Sorry, one other thing - that boat has been on the market since last season so I don't think it is going anywhere. 

Clay Greene

One last last thing - I know what you are saying about the fin versus a wing but the boat in Holland is in the same price range and looks to be in much better shape. 

KWKloeber

Quote from: claygr on August 07, 2015, 10:45:48 AM
I saw this boat up in Port Washington three weeks ago and it looks like it has been badly neglected.  It is in much worse shape than the photos reflect, at least on the outside. 

I would then stay far far any from any broker that misrepresents the condition of a vessel by posting images that are not reflective of "approximately" the current condition, and/or doesn't proactively on the listing state such and the condition of the boat.  further, if I wasted time traveling to see the boat, would report the unscrupulous behavior and business practice!  I have always insisted that every owner take precise photos showing every scratch, bent fitting, canvas tear, and loose whatever -- or I have fully described such in the listing and if, say, the boat had extensive teak bulkhead water damage, insisted on a pre-listing survey to reveal the condition -- before anyone wasted any of his/her, the owner's, and my time on a vessel that wasn't suited for them.   Such "full disclosure" prevented rudder kickers from simply taking their kids out on joy rides -- because any sea trial was conditioned on the buyer acknowledging and accepting the previously stated condition of the boat, and only a mechanical issue during sea trial could void out their offer/deposit.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ccaper

Again, thanks for all the helpful comments.  Particularly claygur's comments on viewing the boat.

tommyt

To the fin versus wing argument it really is pretty much a wash, Sure, a tall rig Fin might be the ideal arrangement, but if you look at the ratings, and race, it is minimal. If you pulled into the slip we did today you may have dragged. A better sailor with a fin would beat awing. Average sailors would finish next to each other....and they both would be smiling!
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance