Delamination of interior doors

Previous topic - Next topic

billandalita

The engine access door that also is the first companionway step into the cabin is made of plywood faced with a white coated plastic laminate.  In fact, much of the cabinetry in my 2002 Catalina 34 MII is made of this material.  This white plastic laminate has started to separate from the plywood in a few spots.  Also the access door (to thru-hulls) in the head, the same thing.  I intend to glue the laminate back to the plywood, but not sure of the proper type of glue to use.  It suspiciously looks like Catalina used contact cement.  Don't think that is such a good idea for areas that get wet occasionally.  Anyone have a good suggestion on the type of glue to use?  Thanks,  Bill

Roc

I would think the best adhesive would be what is normally used to glue laminate on plywood.  I'm not a cabinet maker, but I suppose you can buy a can of it at HD or Lowes.  If you want to get fancy, I suppose you can use a two-part epoxy adhesive.  That might be overkill...
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

billandalita

A good idea.  Will probably get to a Lowes in a day or two.  Bill

Roc

Bill,
My guess is your laminate is peeling on the companionway step area and the head door is because the PO let those areas get wet often.  My boat is two years older than yours and I don't have that issue.  I also don't let the companionway area get wet....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Phil Spicer

Made a new engine cover 10 or 12 years ago. Used contact cement to glue Formica to the top. Still doing fine. Found a small can
at ACE. Weight or clamp your repair & you should be good to go.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Fred Koehlmann

I don't know if it is just with the boats from that year, but we also have a MkII from 2002 and we are  also seeing some delamination of the white finish on the under-cabinet hatch in the head and in the back corner of the navigation table. I agree that is seems like contact cement, and actually that is a pretty common solution for finishing counter-tops so it doesn't surprise me that it could have been used here.

Personally I think is is more from the hot days we've been having that has loosened thinks up, with the expansion of different materials. Have pressed it back down in most places and it will stay for few weeks before it starts to move again. I keep thinking that I'll get around at some point to tack it back down with more contact cement, ... but every time we get up to the boat, all I think about is sailing! :D
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

billandalita

Well, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I will go with the easiest solution at first, and use contact cement.  If after some time that doesn't work, then I will go for the nuclear option and use epoxy.  Many thanks for the help.  Bill