Struck by lightning!

Previous topic - Next topic

porkchop

My boat was struck by lightning almost a year ago.  I'm based at Merritt Island, FLorida.  There was a fire in the cabin which fire crews were able to get out quickly.  Anyway the cabin batteries are gone (melted by the fire) and all the wiring is pretty much fried.

I bought a new starter battery and tried to start the engine, but the wiring there was fried too.  I've replaced the wiring harness and a fuse and several other pieces.  I eventually got the engine to turn over and start, but the alternator caught fire.  So, where I am right now is... looking for an alternator for a Universal engine M-25XP.  The boat was built in 1987.  Where is the best place to find a new or rebuilt alternator.  Any suggestions?

dfloeter

I have on that that came on our boat you can have for shipping.  The foot is the 2" for a Universal.    It would likely be a get by alternator at only 39 amps, but the price is right.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

porkchop

Thanks for the offer, dfloeter.  I may take you up on that if I can't find a new or rebuilt one anywhere.

KWKloeber

What's your OEM Alt? - 51 amp? 75 amp?  internal sense?  External sense?
The model no is stamped on the side of the frame, up front (pulley end.)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

porkchop

Sorry, I don't have all that, KWKloeber.  A thief stole the alternator after it was off the engine.  Actually he was going to go check out a boat shop for a replacement, but he disappeared on me, so I no longer have the unit.  Whatever the stock unit was in 1987.

Ron Hill

Pork : You OEM alternator should have been a 51 amp Motorola.
Ron, Apache #788

porkchop

KWKloeber

Quote from: porkchop on July 23, 2015, 01:39:27 PM
Sorry, I don't have all that, KWKloeber.  A thief stole the alternator after it was off the engine.  Actually he was going to go check out a boat shop for a replacement, but he disappeared on me, so I no longer have the unit.  Whatever the stock unit was in 1987.

M-25s and XPs were built with a std 51 amp (8MR model series alternator) or an optional 72? amp w. external sense.
How many wires were connected to the alt?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

porkchop

I think there were four, Ken, but I'd have to go down to the marina a count them to be sure.

Stu Jackson

pc,

Here's a source of all different alternators:

http://www.ase-supply.com/Leece_Neville_110_603_12V_90_amp_ALTERNATOR_p/mo-110-603.htm

You might also want to check the C34 Tech wiki under engines AND electrical, to find more sources.

Also click on the Support Maine Sail sticky topic, and go to his website.

There's also more info on alternators in the Electrical Systems 101 topic.

Given your strike, you should be suspect of ALL of your wiring.

Good luck.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: porkchop on July 24, 2015, 04:40:50 AM
I think there were four, Ken, but I'd have to go down to the marina a count them to be sure.

Theoretically, depending on the model and wiring, you could have 3, 4, or 5 - best to double check (color or purpose of each would help)

Ken

porkchop

Thanks for the info, Stu,  I do suspect all my wiring.  Every time I've inspected anything so far, I've had to replace it.  Evidently lightning can generate so much heat, it can cause insulation to just evaporate!  I've got bare wires and wires that are welded together in some places, but at least all my engine wiring is good now.

I'll check out the sites you mentioned.

KWKloeber

Quote from: porkchop on July 25, 2015, 12:42:59 AM
Thanks for the info, Stu,  I do suspect all my wiring.  Every time I've inspected anything so far, I've had to replace it. 

How do you know the engine wiring, harness, panel, etc. are good?

Ken

porkchop

Replaced!  Reference first post.

Greg

KWKloeber

Quote from: porkchop on July 27, 2015, 05:14:38 AM
Replaced!  Reference first post.

Greg

Ooops, sorry missed that!

Have you been following the thread about the harness wiring and ?

-  A fuse on the power feed to the cockpit.
-  The fuse on the "S" wire to the solenoid.
-  Moving the battery negative cable to a starter bolt.
-  Heavy Alternator B+ cable to the solenoid "B" post.
-  Alternator B- cable to the engine block (or better yet to a negative bus bar [along w/ the harness negative wire].)

Cheers,
Ken