Birds and wind indicators

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

I had a new masthead wind indicator installed and it worked perfectly for a few weeks, but now can't be seen by the nav system.  I suspect the cause of the problem is the osprey that likes to perch on it (though I haven't confirmed that yet).  The indicator looks to be spinning and pointing fine, based on a binocular view.  Any suggestions on ways to prevent masthead bird damage, or should I just wave the white flag and let nature take its course?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Ron Hill

Steve : There's not much you can do!   Those destructive birds are protected!!

If you're on the boat, beat on the backstay with your hand and "sometimes" that will make them leave!
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I don't have my photos handy but all my masthead gear has 4-in long black zip ties (spikes) pointing up. Even the radar dome (attached Using a small section of dry deck grid siliconed to top of dome and the zip ties attached to that. Seems to work well in my neck of the woods. The black zip ties last for years...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

patrice

Hi,

On mine, the VHF antenna being at the top of the mast must make it hard for the birds,cause I don't have issue.

Don't you also have one on top ?
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

John Langford

Just put on a new Windex and it now comes with a thin spike that is attached to the top of the central shaft above the rotating arrow. It should stop the big birds but not the little Purple Martins that seem to love spinning around on the indicator.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Steve_in_lex

That's a good idea.  I'll check it out.  Thanks all.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

John Cotterill

Steve

Here in Australia we have corellas (type of parrot) they could eat my wind instruments faster than I could put them up.

I eventually installed a Maretron ws100 ultrasonic wind instrument. It has no cups or vanes (or any moving parts) for the birds to chew on and has worked just fine.

John
John Cotterill
Catalina 34 Mark 1 Number 1257
"Catatonic"
Located : Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Australia

Steve_in_lex

Hmm.  That's interesting.  I'll check that out.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Noah

"I'll see your parrots...and raise you a Great Blue Heron..." :shock: 8)
Standard Rig

Noah

Our YC has a dozen or so fake coyotes that they move around the club/docks to frighten the birds. Fooled my dog. The birds? Not so much!
Standard Rig