Leaking handrail

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I've been getting a good amount of water through the last bolt hole on the starboard long handrail.  Right above the ice box.
Pulled part of the handrail up and re-bedded the bolt with more butyl.  Also notice the screw ahead of it had a couple drips coming from it.  Seemed to be seeping from the deck core rather than from the top deck.
After it rained there was about 3-4 oz of water in a cup I put under the bolt/hole.
Then wrapped the exterior of the handrail (which was leaking) with butyl.  Still had water.
Then pulled the cowl, oversized the screw holes and filled with epoxy.  Epoxy hadn't dried so covered the cowl with plastic and taped off.  Still got water after it rained.
Couldn't figure out where it would be getting in.  Looked under the traveller, it's the original on my '86.  There seems to be a crack, about 3" long in the top of the deck where the traveller mounts.  Just found it Sunday so I taped it off.  Hoping that's the spot.
Anyone else have this issue?

Traveller doesn't thru bolt.  Been working on other issues and keep forgetting about this one, plus I'm looking to replace the traveller this fall with a new Garhaurer.  Under load, I can't get it to move.

Stu Jackson

Matt,

Start here:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7457.0.html

Usually the traveler, but I think I wrote that up in Mainsheet.  I'll look for it.

Lots of  ingress places.  Try the link with ideas.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

I think I found it.  Appears to be the traveller.  Rained hard for 1/2 hr this morning.  Happened to be near the boat and stopped by.  Only 2 water drops on the paper towel and they were pretty dry.  Supposed to get some good rain tomorrow so I'll check on Thursday.

Stu Jackson

Matt,

I found it.  Read the last paragraph in the Dorade Replacement article

www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Set2sea

I have the same damn problem I completely rebed a second time this spring and still have weeping in the 3 aft starboard screws. Very frustrating. But after continued leaking, I was thinking else where beside the hand rail itself. It rested to read the thread.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

mregan

Look under the traveller stand/support.  I have the original traveller on my '86.  Where it bolts in looks secure but the rest of the support the traveller sits on has about a 3" crack along the top.  I covered and taped around it and no water after a hard rain.  Was looking to get a new traveller this fall so I'll tackle the repair then.

Geoffreykwright

I did have a leaking handrail on my 2000 C34 MK II.  It was the second from the aft attachment on the port side (right over the nav station).  I was able to fix it by backing that one bolt off (slightly) along with the one either side it (the one in the head and the one over the port settee).  With the help of a friend, I gently lifted the rail and put an generous portion of 4200 around the hole and re-seated the rail and then tightened up the bolts.  It worked very well.  (I needed to back up the one bolt either side in order to get the rail up enough to get the 4200 underneath).
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA